Catalytic Converter on 2000 legacy outback wagon

The catalytic converter on my 2000 legacy outback wagon has gone bad after just 90000 miles. It will be expensive to replace. Is there a low cost source for catalytic converters?

Regards

Reply to
Lakepointe777

My mechanic just ballparked a cat. for my car at under $400. It was a guess but that doesn't sound too awfully expensive?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Are you sure it isn't the front O2 sensor?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The front O2 sensor is fine. The O2 sensor reading in the catalytic converter is erratic. That is why the computer error code shows cat problem and the mechanic at the dealership also confirmed that it is the cat. Is it relatively easy to replace CAT by yourself? I did some work on exhause pipe 18 years go. The biggest problem was to loosen the rusty nuts/bolts.

Regards

Reply to
Lakepointe777