Cdn owners: block heater

Say, it's been really cold around here lately (Ottawa). So I thought I'd plug the car in overnight. Opened the hood to pull the block heater powerplug out, and I couldn't find it! The previous bunch of winters, I had a place with a heated garage, so I never bothered looking for it. I was under the impression that Cdn Subarus would come with block heaters standard. Am I mistaken? BTW, it's a 2000 OBW.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan
[posted and mailed]

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in news:I6WMb.134081$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

I bought a 2003 Impreza in Alberta and the dealer said that when they are prepped a block heater is put in. The car I wanted had to come from B.C. and was already prepped there and didn't have a block heater. The dealer installed one for me at no charge. It would appear it depends on the province that prepped the car. It's unlikely that you would need a block heater in B.C. so it saves the dealer a few dollars to not install it. I would talk to your dealer and see what the story is.

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic

AFAIK, block heater is not standard. I had to pay for it as an option when I got my 2002 TS...

Reply to
Rory

our 99 outback does not have a block heater either.

i am a fellow Ottawa driver so i don't think it's standard, we bought ours used so we don't have any experience with a new subaru purchase

what rubber are you driving this winter?

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi

2001 legacy, no block heater from factory. Part $35.91 labour $75 at dealer.

F.Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

Yup, called up Otto's and asked them about it, and they confirmed it's an option. They quoted about $110 for installation too. Oh well.

I gotta say, it's not that the car doesn't start up after it's been cold, but it really sounds horribly rough when trying to start at -30C or lower.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Well, mine was bought used also, about two years back. So I didn't really have a lot of choice on the options on it either.

Well, I've been driving the same rubbers that I've been driving since I got this car. The previous owner had installed Nokian Hakkapellita NRW tires on it (which are now called the WR's). It seems to be relatively predictable on snow, though I do see a few fishtails with it, but easily brought back under control.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Hi, It's option in Ontario. Out here in Calgary, it's standard feature. I moved out here in 1970. I never had block heater in Ontario. Tony

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hey Yousuf,

They're an option, and Ottawa dealers don't always include them. Did you buy it new here? It is just a 400W element that screws in place of the left coolant-drain plug in the block. You shouldn't _really_ need one, especially if you are using your car everyday for commuting (battery gets a good charge). My "neighbour" at work says they're always included in Saskatoon. Phone your dealer, it can't be more than 100$ installed.

BTW mine has one, but only because the original owner asked for it.

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Yeah that's what it looks like, it's standard only certain parts of the country. I bought mine used from the dealership too. But the previous owner was probably from Montreal. He had good taste in tires, Nokians, but he must've forgotten about block heaters. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

When we got our Legacy wagon just over a year ago, it was an extra option, here in Ottawa. Personally, I can't imagine why you would not install one, especially when the temperature is -35C! And that's without the windchill. It is a lot easier to plug the car in than to build a fire under it. Cheers, Tim

Reply to
Tim Reeve