CEL; resetting

Is there a method to reset the CEL without disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for about 1/2 hour and without taking it to a mechanic? Thanks.

Reply to
RAJP53

Stick the car in a cardboard box and FedEx it to me (NYC) - I'll reset that for you. Seriously, OBD-II scanners can be bought.

Florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

I have read of a way to remove a fuse powering the ECU or some sub-componenet related to the car's computer. Not sure which one it would be or what it is labeled. Most Autozones will read and clear the CEL at no charge. Try doing a search at

or
Let us know what you discover OK?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

RAJP53 wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You didn't say what the CEL was doing or what conditions was but for some problems, if the condition corrects itself, the light will go off on it own within a short (hrs to several days) while.

Recently had a spat of CEL coming one and going off after a day or two. Originally OBD indicated a cat converter problem but then got to thinking about faulty gas cap which can set off the CEL. Cleaned the filler neck and removed the rubber gasket and cleaned, placed back on reversed. Haven't had the light come on again since then.

In case anyone wonders how the computer knows the gas cap isn't on tight, schematic in manual shows a pressure switch in the tank.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Local AutoZone has stopped resetting, sighting some regulation. Mentioned getting into trouble over doing so. Don't know if this is company wide decision.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

I'd heard this was true in California. It may be true now here in Texas, been months since I had it done.(If the guy is confident you weren't sent by the State to check up on him - may you could slip him a couple of Lotto tickets to go ahead and clear the code).

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Mickey wrote:

Reply to