Ceramic Brake Pads

I have a 2010 Forester which we have driven 43,000 km in the first year. The vehicle has developed a brake squeak that is constant, it does not go away after the first several stops for the day. The dealer cannot figure out the cause and is suggesting that I have ceramic pads installed on the vehicle. They will provide the pads at cost and will charge me 50% of the labour for installation. Are ceramic pads a good value? What are the pros and cons? Does anyone else have a brake squeak problem with a Forester?

TIA

Reply to
DJ C

Hi

I would suggest you should get the dealer to make the car work properly with the car manufacturer standard parts under the manufacturers warranty, (particularly if they have been doing your routine service work which should have included checking and cleaning the brakes).

Probably just needs a good clean up around the pad/caliper mechanisms and some brake grease on the anti-squeal shims where they contact the pads(if shims are fitted). This is based on my servicing of my own 1998 with 100K miles & 2004 with 70K miles UK model Foresters.

In short, it sounds like a typical stealership poised to rape ya bank account while smiling and appearing to be being ever so helpful. (i.e. how would you ever know the real cost price of the ceramics pads and how much labour they really normally charge for a brake pad change).

my opinion based on sad experience is that for about 70 to 80% of sales & service dealership staff you can tell when they are lying, it's because you can hear their voices.

Final thoughts, if your vehicle needed ceramic pads the tech wizards in Subaru engineering design would have specced them for the vehicle originally plus they will also almost certainly wear the standard brake discs down faster (another income stream win for the stealership service dept. when they need replacing early!!! )

Best Regards Marcus

I have a 2010 Forester which we have driven 43,000 km in the first year. The vehicle has developed a brake squeak that is constant, it does not go away after the first several stops for the day. The dealer cannot figure out the cause and is suggesting that I have ceramic pads installed on the vehicle. They will provide the pads at cost and will charge me 50% of the labour for installation. Are ceramic pads a good value? What are the pros and cons? Does anyone else have a brake squeak problem with a Forester?

TIA

Reply to
Illuminated

What he said !

If you go back to that stealer keep both hands firmly clasped around your wallet.

Sounds to me like you have got a tiny piece of grit, pebble, rock, wedged between the pads and the rotor. Removing the pads and examining them or replacing them (not necessarily with ceramic) should cure it.

Cam

Reply to
bugalugs

Boy, I'm glad you have such faith in your dealership. If you can't trust them that much you shouldn't buy from them.

Buy a horse, and see if you can trust your vet.

Reply to
clare

If the stock pad is a semi-metallic pad you have likely hardened them to the point they squeal. Samding the surface with 80 grit or coarser sand paper, and chamfering the edges would LIKELY quiet them down, but a good ceramic pad ( I used carbon ceramics on my Aerostar, and the more expensive Hybrid ceramics on my PT.

If you have any question as to what they are charging for the installation, the flat rate book is readilly accessible. Should not be more than a one hour charge - and if they are giving you the ceramics (which definitely cost more then the OEM) I'd say it is a good deal. They do not contribute to rotor pitting/corroding nearly as much as the semi-metallic or metallic/organic standard pads.

Reply to
clare

While it does make sense to install OEM disk pads due to low noise i see absolute no reason to go for OEM non-slotted disks. So i don't quite follow your logic that worn disks are an income opportunity for a dealer. Most people who have any brains in them will bypass the oem route.

Reply to
AD