chains

I just got an '05 Forester 2.5X. In section 8-13 of the owner's manual it addressed the chain issue. Use SAE type S chains on front wheels only. max speed I was in Leavenworth Washington this last weekend, they had the worst

weather (freezing rain & ice)there in 20 years I heard. I chained my Ford >Ranger, though I really did not need to. But My wife has a new Subaru so we >were asking how the local law deals with the all-wheel-drive vehicles. And >we talked with more than a couple Subaru owners. They had said they never >had a problem getting around, and were never questioned by law enforcement. >We will take the Subaru next time with chains in the back, but will not make >reservations. And if it gets so bad that we are required to chain we will >turn around. I do not feel comfortable putting chains on it without chaining >ALL 4 wheels, for fear of damaging components, let alone clearance. > >>On the news last week I saw that they required 4WD vehicles chain up >>before going over a pass here in Washington. I checked the Washington >>State Department of Transportation and found the following (please read >>last sentence)... >> >>Exception for all wheel drive vehicles: when "chains required" signs are >>posted, all-wheel drive vehicles are exempt from the chain requirement >>when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction >>devices, provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are >>carried in the vehicle. However, the patrol can require chains on >>all-wheel drive vehicles as well, if conditions warrant their use." >> >>
> >>Since 2000 Subarus or newer can't be chained, what are we suppose to do? >>Any solutions out there? >> >> >> > > > >
Reply to
Frank Dennis

y_p_w

Cable chains are also allowed on 2004 Forester. Put them on the front wheels. Stay under 20 mph. Take them off as soon as road conditions permit. Be sure chains are tight.

Bill

"Frank Dennis" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net... I just got an '05 Forester 2.5X. In section 8-13 of the owner's manual it addressed the chain issue. Use SAE type S chains on front wheels only. max speed

Reply to
Bill Sharpe