change Remote Keyless Entry sound

A friend's 1998 Impreza Outback Sport makes a nice chirping sound when he uses the remote keyless entry. My 2003 Impreza Outback Sport gives two brief blasts of the horn. Loud enough to wake the neighbors. How hard would it be to have the sound changed? Can a little chirper be attached to the horn assembly and some wires be rerouted? Thanks Tracy

Reply to
Tracy

There is a simple procedure to silence this audible arming. For me, hearing the door lock actuators do their thing is plenty.

I found this procedure in my manual.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Reply to
Tracy

So would the por guy who finds your lost keys in the beach sand while you are sun bathing... (I prefer silent).

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Bart

My 2005 Forester chirps, it has a small beeper near the firewall. Not sure how the wiring differs.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Hitting the panic button still would help with that and maintain the usual silence.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I tell you, it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between my chirp mode and the silent mode. I'm not complaining...

Jay M Virginia, US '03 Baja

Reply to
Googler

My first thought is that you have a factory installed system and your friend has an aftermarket system.

~~Phil~~

Reply to
PHIL

Beeps are boring and horn blasts are really annoying and wake folks up. I want mine to quack.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Phil, Yes, but even if that's why the sounds on the two cars are different, my question is this: is there a wire that runs into the horn from the remote entry system which could be rerouted to a chirper that a garage can install (without messing up the car's electric system)? I don't know how these keyless entry systems work or how complex they are. Would it be simple, like changing speakers on a stereo system? That is, run the "keyless entry speaker wire" to a third-party chirper unit instead of to the horn? Or is it not as simple as that? Does the same wire that carries the door lock/unlock sound also carry the "panic" signal and also tie in to the horn button on the steering wheel? Thanks Tracy

Reply to
Tracy