changing spark plugs

I was talking to my new subaru mechanic the other day, and I told him that while I knew very little about working on cars, I have a friend who does all sorts of work on his Saturn. I told him we were going to change my spark plugs, and he suggested that I don't do it on my own because they're hard to change on my particular engine (I have a 1997 Subaru Outback 2.5L). I think he said they were hard to reach because of their location.

He's changing my timing belt, accessory belts, and putting in a new water pump next week. Should I just let him change the plugs then?

Can someone ballpark me on how much just the installation of the plugs would cost?

Or should I just ignore what he said and do it when I visit my friend in two weeks?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
thomashanno

You've got a horizontally opposed 4 cylinder engine. Two of the plugs point to the left, and the other two point to the right. There's a good deal of stuff that is likely in the way and probably needs to be removed to access the plugs. It's probably not as bad as some V6 engines I've heard of. Those are either jammed against the firewall or can only be reached easily from underneath using a hydraulic lift.

An inline engine is a breeze. I could replaced my '89 Integra plugs in less than 5 minutes. My '95 Integra GS-R took longer because there was plug wire cover with 5 hex bolts.

By all means yes.

I heard it's typically at least a half hour job. It might be less if several of the components are already removed for the timing belt change.

Depends on what kind of Saturn experience he has. If he's only changed plugs on the Saturn inline 4s, then he's going to be a little bit out of his element.

Reply to
y_p_w

While he's got all the front off get him to do the plugs as well. The additional cost would worth it compared to your time and the new swear words you would invent, or string together, when you tackle that job yourself for the first time.

Reply to
Bugalugs

Changing the plugs isn't that hard if you have a toolbox full of socket extensions, flex couplings, u-joints and plug sockets.

Otherwise, best to let the mechanic do it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jim's right. If you have exactly the right combination of socket extensions and u-joint extensions, you could do all 4 plugs in about 45 minutes. I didn't, and it took me over 3 hours. Two chassis members come within about

2.5 inches of the valve covers, which is what makes it very hard to access the plugs.
Reply to
BobN

i have a impreza 1.8, and the plugs appear to be angled upward as opposed to being horizontal. i should be able to change mine fairly easy right?

Reply to
hundog

If this guy is your regular mechanic, let him do it. You should do things that you get paid to do and leave this work to the professional. Not like you cant get it done. But there are so many reasons to let the mechanic do it. Spend some time with friends and family and keep the economy going.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Haven't I agreed with you before on this very same issue? Great minds!

Reply to
KLS