Changing Waterpump (2.0 WRX) DIY??

Is there a DIY/step-by-step guide anywhere on changing out the water pump on a 2.0L WRX engine?

I've checked the usual suspects (NASIOC, Scooby Mods, etc) with negative results, and the factory service manual is unusually quiet with regards to the water pump (or has it listed in an unusual location).

I'm guessing it's a simple bolt-on, but don't want to be surprised when I've got the timing belt off and coolant in a bucket. ;-)

Reply to
CompUser

Is it leaking already? How many miles on the vehicle?

In the factory service manual in the engine/cooling section the procedure to replace the pump is described in full detail.

Good luck.

CompUser wrote:

Reply to
AS

Reply to
Edward Hayes

It certainly is! 65K.

I've got several versions of the FSM, and haven't been able to find anything on the pump, except for the "description" section, that gives an explanation of how different parts do their jobs.

Reply to
CompUser

That is the mechanical/function section. You need to look in the repair section

CompUser wrote:

Reply to
AS

No joy there, either.

Reply to
CompUser

Yah, I've already run it thru Acrobat with "water pump" for search terms.

Reply to
CompUser

Since the real problem will be maintaining timing belt position integrity, try searching TB replacement threads.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Like I said up top, I'm good to go on the timing belt...just haven't seen any step-by for the water pump.

Reply to
CompUser

I don't recall that either - though it may very well exist. If you checked

, maybe Legacy777 over there may know of some pics. He has a ton.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

If you have the same FSM I do... it doesn't seem to talk about the Cooling system on the DOHC engine at all... I imagine that is because it is probably the same as on the SOHC engine, so check 2 - SOHC engine, it gives a complete procedure for removing/replacing the water pump.

Hope it helps

--Dmitriy

CompUser wrote:

Reply to
Dmitriy

Dunno for Impreza, but if it's the same as the 2.2 Liberty (Legacy) up to

94, once you've taken off the belt, tensioner and other associated fun bits, the only caution my manual has is the bolt sequence for retightening

- you go around the 6 of them anticlockwise starting with the one at the 3 o'clock position. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Check out

for some pictures & description.