Check engine light -- 02 OBW 2.5L

Hello,

Just recently, my OBW 5MT (46k miles on the clock) starting showing a check engine light.

I took it over to Autozone for a free reading and got the following:

P0065 --> Air Assisted injector out of range.

Has anyone else run into this? If so, how was it resolved(ie costs and parts needed)?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

Edward Hayes

Unfortunately no.

46k miles on it. Warranty, I believe, was 36k.

New part from Subaru is $245, and they want $75 to install it. The tech told me that I might be able to remove the part and clean it with carb cleaner and it MAY start working again.

Thanks,

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

Shouldve bought the extended warranty. Only $1000 and will pay for itself in one or two repairs. You only option would be to check if its an emission control part and the federal warranty is 50000 miles I believe

Reply to
jabario

I suppose we could debate the merit of extended warranties here if you wish. This is the only Japanese car I've ever owned that needed non-warranty repair prior to 100k miles. In addition, I researched Subarus a great deal prior to my purchase and came away with the impression that they are reliable vehicles for the most part.

Hence, my experience and research pointed to a vehicle that I believed would give me at least 5 years of trouble free service and wouldn't need an extended warranty. I don't want a car that needs an extended warranty. Taking a car to a dealership for repair, when that dealership is far off the beaten path, is a hassle that I don't like dealing with regardless of the expense.

This car spent 3 weeks in the dealership at 10k miles while they were trying to diagnose what we thought was "piston slap", which ended up being a faulty timing chain tensioner. Again, no other car I've owned has needed that type of service in the first 5 years of its life. I guess I should've figured it out then. :)

As an aside, my OBW LTD is the most expensive car I've ever purchased. I thought I was getting what I paid for. In retrospect its been a decent car, but the reliability isn't where I thought it would be (t/c tensioner/clutch chatter and slippage since early on/IAC valve). What's next?

Mine may be a bad apple, or it could be that because the car was built in Indiana that its less than optimal. I don't know. Some people believe that Japanese marques that are built in the US are inferior to products from the same mfgr that were built in Japan. Again, I have no evidence to that fact other than anecdotal and personal experience.

That's a good idea about the emissions warranty.

Thanks,

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

Indiana that its less than optimal. I don't know. Some people believe that Japanese marques that are built in the US are inferior to products from the same mfgr that were built in Japan.

Reply to
jabario

Your Subaru is NOT a Japanese car, that may be part of the problem. TG

Reply to
TG

A subaru may not be jap but is still light years ahead of ford dodge stc

Reply to
jabario

That is something I definitely agree with!!! And don't exclude GM from that list!

Cheers,

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

I'm not sure where you're located, but here in Canada, there's an ECM update (reflash) that will remedy several code issues, including this one. Your dealer should have this info. If not, find one who does. Make sure the ECM has the latest calibration before changing parts! Your AAI valve is most likely fine and doesn't need replacement. I'm not sure if warranty will cover it (it should) but it shouldn't take them more than 1/2 hour to perform this. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Jcee