Check Engine light

I have a 99 Outback with about 180000klms on the clock.

The check engine light on the dash comes on occasionally, for no apparent reason, in all sorts of situations....hot, cold, acceleration, coasting etc.

Any ideas on how or where to check for problems?

-- Regards Ian Wharton Creative Photographics Images to Laugh, Smile and Cry over!! Finalist 2004 ABIA Wedding Industry Awards

502 Algester Rd Algester Q 4115 ph 07 3273 7056 fx 07 3273 7735
Creative

apparent

First thing is to find out what engine code you have.

Reply to
hippo

apparent

Sorry about first post - hit submit by accident. First thing is to find out what engine code you have. Dealer or a local mech should be able to do that for you, else you can diy

*if* it's the same procedure as the earlier models.
Reply to
hippo

apparent

Sorry about first post - hit submit by accident. First thing is to find out what engine code you have. Dealer or a local mech should be able to do that for you, else you can diy

*if* it's the same procedure as the earlier models.
Reply to
hippo

If you're talking about the self diagnostic on the oldies, there isn't anything like that on the newer models. There's a proprietary Subaru connector somewhere I believe, as well as the obvious OBDII connection. Lots of parts stores will read your code for free, and you can always get your own code reader which is worthwhile if you ask me. There are thousands of codes, but the ones I've experienced are oxygen sensor, knock sensor, misfire on cylinder 4, and one other I can't remember. The oxygen sensor was truly dead, but the rest of the codes went away once I switched gas stations. Go figure.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Reply to
mulder

If when the light is on, it is steady, not flashing, it indicates a pollution control problem. Subies seems to be sensitive to a good seal on the gas cap. This is a real problem if gas cap isn't getting fully seated when replacing the cap after filling the tank. Clean the gasket, clean the filler neck and see if this doesn't cure the problem. It did for me.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey