Check Engine light after clutch replacement

I've got a question about a friends' subaru. It's a 1995 or 96 (he doesn't know) Legacy wagon (2.2L). He just took the car in for a new clutch and when he got it back the check engine light was on. He took it back and the mechanic gave him the usual BS about the O2 sensor and how it'll be $x00 to fix. I don't know how the O2 setup is in the subaru (I have one, but I've never been under the car to see how it's setup), but in my Toyota, I know the O2 sensor is screwed into the exhaust pipe just before the cat right near to the transmission. So my guess is that the mechanic either unplugged or damaged the O2 sensor when he was removing the tranny to get to the clutch. Obviously it's going to be next to impossible to get the mechanic to admit to his mistake, so I think it'll be better to crawl under there and see what's going on.

Before I have him bring his car to my house, I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some common things to look for. I'm just not familiar with the subaru setup, so I don't know where to start. Also, does anyone know how to read the OBD codes so I can narrow down what's wrong with the car.

Also, if anyone has another reason why the CEL would come on just after someone replaced the clutch, I'd like to have as much info as I can to see if we can fight the repair shop.

Thanks! Mike '99 Legacy GT

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

It's very important whether the car is a 95 or 96. If it's 96 it would definitely be OBDII, 95 could be either OBDI or OBDII. If it's OBDII, the only way to read codes is with a scanner. Autozone does this for free if you are in the US in states other than CA. In CA they won't do it for you but may loan you the scanner for a deposit. If it is OBDI you can follow the information here to retrieve the codes-

should have the exact numerical code(s) before proceeding with anytroubleshooting or parts replacement, otherwise you are shooting inthe dark. Get the code(s), if OBDII they will be in Pxxxx format, thensearch online for information and troubleshooting procedures for thoseparticular codes.
is a good source of this type of info.

Reply to
mulder

Hopefully you've gotten your problem fixed by now, but thought I'd throw in my experience anyway. Pretty much the only thing I've had done professionally on my 97 2.2 Impreza was the clutch. The "professional" mechanic neglected to tighten the bolt holding the ground cable to the engine. Tightening that bolt solved intermittant cel and starting problems that didn't develope until a couple of weeks after the clutch job!

Reply to
dbaldwin13