claiam and premium increase

If there is a ng for ht ekind of question I am about to ask, please direct me to it. In the mean time, my question is "would claiming the damage cause by my hitting a curb increase my premium?" I hit a curb last September and there was some dent and paint scrathes on lower left fender and the lady at autobody place was suggesting me to get the repair done - I would pay deductible 500 - but I am concern that doing so would raise my premium". She told me to call the insurance and asked about it but I can't ask w/o the insurance finding out about it so I am asking here how that would affect my future premium.

Reply to
amanda992004

This is *not* it.

This newsgroup is blessedly free from off-topic discussions and when you get into non-Subaru specific insurance and legal issues, you are off-topic and are a distraction to many of us.

I don't know what newsgroup would be on-topic and it's not our job to find it for you.

*please* restrict your posts to Subaru-specific inquiries. That's what the group is for.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

Well, based on all the useful information you've provided, I can tell you with 100% confidence - Maybe.

Reply to
Cam Penner

How the hell do you hit the curb with the LEFT fender? Are you for real Amanda? For god's sake I hope your better in BED than you are on the road and in taking care of your personal problems. Your living proof that "Common Sense" is NOT so common. Just another day in the life of Amanda..the Drama Queen.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

Are you that stoopid? Did you read "the damage caused by my hitting a curb" and understood it as hitting the curb with left fender? Go take your meds.

Reply to
amanda992004

Thanks. Yes, someone finally was able to tell give the same answer.

Reply to
amanda992004

alt.autos.amanda.die.die.die.

Reply to
William

I thought you wrecked the car in a different accident?

Reply to
B a r r y

Ask your agent. I had a small encounter with my garage a couple of months ago and was told by State Farm that a bill to them of something like $750 would raise my premium. I have $250 deductible and went to approved shop that I like to deal with and convinced them I did not need a new bumper cover and kept cost below $750 level.

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Reply to
Edward Hayes

"I hit a curb last September and there was some dent and paint scrathes on lower left fender"

That's where it came from. Most people would assume that if you hit a curb the damage to the car would be at and around the contact point.

Reply to
Keapon Laffin

I don't mind discussing automobile related items but have to agree with another's comment that poor Amanda is a "drama queen" ;( Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Why wouldn't she be? She's on the staff of the Car Talk show: Amanda B. Reckonedwith.

Reply to
l.lichtman

Why not try it for experience? Consider the variables of speed and force and types of curb one can hit.

Reply to
amanda992004

Yes, cosmetic damage when someone hit my car a month ago.

The curb-hitting was from last October. And egges thrown was about 3 weks before the last accident (of May 19). The former under collison and the latter under comprehensive. I am considering to claim both now and cash out as I found out that my curb-hitting won't raise my premium since the cost of repair falls under the threshold value of $1000 (for this state) that insurance would pay.

Reply to
amanda992004

I was told that it's $1000. Later, I found out the amount is set not by insurance companies but by state regulations.

I also have the option of not fixing it and take the cash.

Reply to
amanda992004

Well..what if someone had the same experience and could give some info? Before I posted here, I ALREADY called customer service of my insurance company but the guy couldn't tell me. That's how knowledgeable peopel are of their field nowadays.

Then, last night, I posted the question to all the surrounding classmates (in Java programming class; BTW, no one said it's unrelated to the course) sitting near me and found out that it depend and insurance company.

So this morning, I called customer service again but mainly to make a point that when some one is moving (busy to bother with checking mail and stuff), they need to give customers more time to make the payment on difference balance on premium increase due to new address, instead of charging late fees for meager amount increase.

After getting nowhere (being put on hold), at the 3rd try, I finally got a lady knowledgeable enough to give me the info about threshhold.

overridden by state laws such as NO FAULT States. I found that out ACCIDENTALLY ONLY 1 1/2 ago when talking with another insurance company when doing price comparison (for my sister) between my compnay and hers. The CSR of hers told me when I used the word "how much is your threshold" that it's state regulation.

I amazed that most people who grew up here don't know squat about things I would know had I been raised in this country.

Reply to
amanda992004

Then you *must* be smart enough to find a better newsgroup for your information.

Reply to
GrumpyOldGeek

You need to post more details then...time of day, street name, wet/dry, color of car, type of tires, passengers & names, inflation pressures, that sort of stuff.

If you don't provide the info, who can tell?

Well, that doesn't help much, does it?

You should probably call them more often...two to three times a day would probably get you the respect you deserve.

And remarkably, I'd suppose it all depends on

*what* threshold they were talking about.

Are you some kind of uber-hotty, or is Daddy stinkin' rich?

Reply to
CompUser

And which country is that? This is a worldwide newsgroup. Assuming that someone is or is not from Australia shouldn't be necessary to answer your questions. In fact, not everything varies state by state, since not all countries have states like Australia does. Some don't even have that level of government at all.

Reply to
Cam Penner