ClassII Towing?

Would like to get a 2004 Subaru Baja, Second choice is the Forester. However need to be able to tow an 18ft boat short distances, no highway. Boat and Trailer weigh 3,500. All Subaru's are rated at 2,400. I know it's not the horse power, there are other vehicles that have similar hp and are rated at 3,500.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks John

Reply to
foo bar

So it would be possible to tow a 3,500lb boat and trailer if I got a braking trailer and soup up the suspension?

Thanks

T> Hi,

Reply to
foo bar

Actually trailer brakes are required to reach the 2000 lb point.

You can increase the tow rating, but it's real tough and -very- expensive. Not something I would do. If it was me, I would get the Subaru for the daily driver and a

-serious- tow vehicle for the boat. For the later it wouldn't even have to be "new", just in good enough condition to do the towing. I have an F250 for my towing (I only put about 6000 miles a year on it)

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Possible and good idea are 2 different things. I would NOT recomend it even for short distances. If your car weighs 3000lbs and the boat+trailer is 3500LBS, the boat will be trying to drive the car.

I would always recommend trailer brakes on ANY trailer over 3000LBs no matter what your using as a tow vehicle.

If your going to launch the boat at a ramp, you will have a hard time pulling the boat out of the water. Plus, the brakes will take a sever beating.

I once had a 3600lbs boat+trailer and towed it with a Dodge Dakota (4000lbs tow rating). It was all the truck could do to get the boat out of the water. I then upgraded to a Dodge Ram (8000lbs rated) and you never knew the boat was attached. From now on I'll always double the boat/trailer weight when choosing a tow vehicle.

Of course, the ramp I used at Lake Cumberland (KY) had a ramp that only the big boys used. Yo HAD to have a 4x4 large size truck.

Reply to
Mark

Hi, Yup, I have a '77 F250HD Super cab. with 460 in it. I haven't even seen it overheating in years pulling my ~7000 lbs 5th wheel. At the rate I am using the truck, it'll last my life time.

50% increase in tow rating is too much, IMO. It can become dog's tail wagging the dog situation. Tony
Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have a F150 now that is just coming off lease, I think I will go with the keep the truck plan and get a Baja for everyday use. I am just tired of spending over $200/month on gas mostly.

Thanks John

Mark wrote:

Reply to
foo bar

Ya, I'd hate to see what it would cost me to drive the F250 as a daily driver.... The difference between the 25+ mpg and the ~9 mpg would be bad

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg