code p0420 for subaru legacy

i have a code p0420 for my 1997 lagacy low cat effi, and the car hesatates some times when i start out,i saw a post saying to replace the manifold gasket and to check for leaks will that cause the hesitations or does it mean that the cats are clogged up?

Reply to
swikman

mulder

Seems to me that is the code I saw when in actuality, the problem was the gas cap. Tank is required to be sealed and if cap is loose or rubber seal damaged or dirty the seal is lost. I would check here first make sure all is well with seal and I bet the code will go away within a few days.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

"low cat effi" is usually caused by exhaust leaks on the engine side of the main converter. Although cats do wear out that is rarely the problem on these cars...lots of cats are replaced though due to ignorance. Do some other diagnostics on the expensive cat first...how is exhaust flow?TG

Reply to
TG

Not necesarily ["low cat effi" is usually caused by exhaust leaks on the engine side of the main converter. Although cats do wear out that is rarely the problem on these cars...lots of cats are replaced though due to ignorance. Do some other diagnostics on the expensive cat first...how is exhaust flow?TG]

Your hesitation may be unrelated

Reply to
TG