Cold Starting Fuel Smell

I have read a lot on various bulletin boards about fuel smells coming thru the vents when starting the vehicle in the morning. They all seem to lead to a fuel line leak at the hose connections primarily due to the cold temps.

I have noticed this smell recently and plan on checking for a fuel leak myself.

What are your thoughts on the fuel line leaks?

- Remove 123 to reply directly

Reply to
SnatchCritic

mulder

Interesting . . . I have a 2005 Forester here in Florida and I have noticed a fuel smell on startup whenever the overnight temp falls into the 40s or lower

50s. Maybe they haven't yet corrected the cause of the fuel. It's over 40 miles to my dealer, so this will have to wait until I need to go there for regular service.
Reply to
WisedU

Reply to
mulder

Reply to
Dave Blizzard

Reply to
mulder

i get the same problem on an '02 legacy wagon, especially on a cold morning. i try not to crack the heater open until the engine warms up a bit. i had thought that it was just the engine running a little rich on startup.

a real fuel leak sounds a lot more serious.

Reply to
tom klein