Consequtive road tests of vanilla 2005 WRX and WRX Sti - Holy cow!

Road tested two WRX's yesterday: a WRX wagon with normal shifter and a WRX Sti sedan with short shift shifter. Both 2005 off dealer lot. The Sti was first.

The Sti is one hot car! I was not used to the short shift gearbox and it felt a little weird at first, but it only took a few minutes to get used to it. The power of the Sti engine is just wonderful. I detected little, if any, turbo lag. The thing had plenty of what Americans like, low end grunt. Only revved it to about 5,000 rpm (not my car) using the audible shift indicator (nice feature). Great little handler, too. Comfortable ride, though firm. The clutch was sweet.

I drove a friend's vanilla WRX a year or so ago and liked it. This time around after the Sti, I liked it a lot less. The power of the Sti is very noticeably missing at low rpm's and the long throw shifter just feels more sloppy and hard to drive smoothly with in comparison. Just felt awkward in comparison.

The bad thing is that the Impreza body is a little tight for a 6' 1" person like myself. I can't get the seat back far enough to be really comfortable and even at that point the back seat behind is sonly good for "legless midgets". Also not too crazy about the fabric covering on the seat bolsters. They hold you well and the seats are comfy, but you slide over the bolsters whenever you get in/out and I can't see how they would not wear quickly and look like hell.

I sure wish the Impreza were maybe 5% larger or Subaru made a Legacy version of the Sti because even though the Sti is a load of fun and pretty reliable, it is just a bit too small.

My guess is on the next redo, it will grow just a little (like the Legacy did). The old WRX/Sti fans will moan, but they (Subaru) will end up with a better car. George Litwinski

"It's good to want things."

S. Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic.Net programmer)

Reply to
GRL

I'm doubtful that will happen, as they will want to keep the car small for the WRC to be competitive. I really don't see subaru abandoning their WRC heritage and winning because a few americans want the car bigger.

Reply to
WRXtreme

I'm doubtful that will happen, as they will want to keep the car small for the WRC to be competitive. I really don't see subaru abandoning their WRC heritage and winning because a few americans want the car bigger.

Reply to
GRL

The old WRX/Sti fans will moan,

Size and weight are the enemy. You should have plenty of room in a standard Rex at only 6ft 1in unless you are massively overweight. Also, there is plenty of room for normal-sized adults in the rear, even with the driver's seat set back. Please do not wish for another dumbing down.

(Please sort our your formatting problem and try to remember that usenet is a plain-text community. Thanks.)

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

They already put in wider seats when they went bugeye, doubt there would be much change in future. Guess you could always mod it to suit your prefs anyway...

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply) Video & Gaming:

Gadgets

Sigh. It's not a question of seat width. That's fine. It's a case of leg room. There is not enough gor someone 6'1" to be comfortable for a long haul. With the front seat all the way back, there is some 6" between front seat and rear cushion in back. This is a joke.

I have test driven a Dodge Neon SRT and it had better front and rear seat leg room. It can be done in a car the size of the Impreza.

Understand, I like the STi a LOT. A performance jewel. Just wish it were a nit bigger.

By the way, the BMW M3 manages to be larger/heavier and more comfortable than the STi and out-performs it by a little. Comfort for tall people and high performance can be done.

Reply to
GRL

The rear leg room is a bit deceptive. I am also 6' 1" but fit back there just fine. The rear of the seat is cloth and there is no padding there so even though the seat comes back, your knees actually have a bit of room.

Reply to
WRXtreme

That must be why BMW are having to produce a stripped-out, lightweight version of the M3 for their enthusiast customers. Standard M3 is lardy, over-equipped and less than satisfying. People are prepared to pay more for less.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

How times change. My dad was 6'4" and 220lb when he used to drive a 64 Mini Cooper as a police pursuit car with a similarly sized partner! The people I actually know (rather than see around) with WRXs/STIs are all over 6'. Maybe you have shorter body/longer legs? Howzabout a B4?

Reply to
hippo

Is the Neon not a transverse engine, vs. the Subaru flat-four? Great, get yourself a Neon.

At double the price or so...shouldn't it? Great, get ya self an M3...

It is, what it is.

Reply to
CompUser

george, i'm 6'4", ~190lbs, and my car fits me like a glove. the seats all the way back, the seat back is two clicks from the most upright, and the "jack" is all the way down.

the seats post-bugeye were made with smaller bolsters, and a bit wider.

who cares how much space the back passengers get? i never ride in the back in my own car!! ;)

i must say, i do have a wagon. that may make a bit of difference in interior space.

jm2c ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Ken,

I tried 2005 models and I think the STI has different seats than the WRX this year. The lack of rear seat leg room is rarely a problem, but when you want to go out for lunch with three of your pals and it's your turn, it becomes a BIG problem at that moment.

I am amazed that at 6'4" you can be comfortable. Must be a body type difference long torso (you) vs. long legs (me). I guess.

- George

Reply to
GRL