Contacting your Subaru district manager

How to go about it?

When I refused to take the car home last Thursday until they took care of some thing, I ended up taking the discounted offer of perma plate that protects UV and bird droppings, etc. (7 years warranty).

After bringing the car home (straight to my garage), I checked underneath the bumpers and noticed that perma plate was not applied there. During that checking I came to notice the very tiny dent (just enought o remove the paint; black material underneat exposed) on rear bumper curving around the exhaust pipe or should I say paint peel that seemed to have resulted from something hitting or the car hitting something when backed out. It's not soemthing one would notice unless standing at the right angle and to be aiming the eyes to that area. (This is aside from the tiny speck of protruding paint spot on front bumper which I saw last Thursday and didn't make a deal about it though I pointed out to them. The black materail underneath wasn't exposed but today, it made me wondered whther the bumper had been repainted and whether it was a bad painjt job w.r.t to that spot.

I immediatedly called and reported about it and was asked to bring the car by today. I did and it was an exhausting experience as they ended up accusing me that I caused it. Then I realized that the perma plate coat over those spots on rear bumper curving around the exhaust pipe would prove that those were there before I left the propety and I started saying that I could go get a lab test (chemical analysis done) done. I also mentioned my chemistry knoweldge (the guy form finance dept did know about my chemistry degree; after I mentioned about the lab test, he stopped pointing finger at me for that damage) and how I love to watch forensic files on TV which BTW is the ultimate truth. Of course I didn't want to spend my time doing all that and was ready to give on getting coopertion (didn't show that to them though) when they ended up agreeing to take care of those spots.

Had I not purchased the perma plate service, I would have been ....

Anyway, I am curious to whether Subaru dealers get away with things (referring to not making sure about scratched and stuff before delivering the car to me) because the Subaru don't care?

BTW, is it possible to buy the car directly from the manufacturer? Of course, I understand that if it is possible, it would be retail price.

Reply to
amanda992004

I took my car for a good long test drive before buying my car. I came back from the ride, made my deal and they took the car in to prep it (which was mostly done already because it was on the showroom floor with only 3 miles on it). Anyhow, when the brought the car out, the salesman was doing his job by showing us around the car when I noticed a nice nail on the inside front right tire. I noticed it only because the wheel was turned. Had it been straight, I wouldn't have seen it. I pointed it out, and they replaced not just the tire - but the entire wheel off another Subaru and made a quick switch. I sensed that they were none too happy about doing this, but I also didn't have to fight with them either.

I am sure if I noticed it after I drove off the lot, I would have been stuck with the cost of a new tire for a brand new car.

Dom

Reply to
Dom

Which dealer did you go with?

Ian.

Reply to
Ian Brown

Shingle Springs in California. It's an hour drive form my place and it is becoming a pain dealing with them. I intend to report to Subaru.

BTW, when I eventually got them to do something about those paint damage spots on rear bumper around the curve near exhaust pipe, the guy (he's from finance dept and seems to handle customers with these kinds of issues) told me that he would do touch up. Though I already knew that it's the cheap way to fix it, I asked whether it would look good and he said yes. The work order he prepared and made me sing said that they would do touch up. He hasn't given it to service department yet since the dept was closed already. In fact, I think they are going to contract this out to someone else to do it. I also mentioned my concern about wheel alignment but only after I got hime as I got exhausted dealing with the paint issue and forgot. I was instructed to cll Service and so I did this morning. First,

I asked for all copies of all the work done in preparing this car to deliver to me. He said I have all he has. I said I have the copies of work order but not after the completion. (What I meant was the work done between my purchase date and the day I picked up the car and not what was done at the factory.) I was told to contact business office to which I said I would do so when I bring the car for the paint repair work on rear bumper. [More about this paint repair converstaion with the guy form service later.] I mentioned that I would expect that there is a protocol established by the Subaru for the Subaru dealers to follow in preparing the car to deliver to the customer and that I would like that information also. Of course, that guy ended up saying that I was just looking for more troubles.

About the paint repair work, I mentioned to this guy that I wouldn't want putty put and the car taken care the cheap way. I said that when the paint repair work is done, I would want detail explanation in writing on how it is done. (I am sure that that p***ed him off.) He said that this bumper needs to be stripped down and repaint. Otherwise, touch up work would look different. He also mentioned that the work order was to do touch up. I gues someone near by pulled out the work order and showed it to him during the conversation. So I told him that I would take a picture (with my digital camera) and that I would talk to the other guy about the quality.

Oh..I also mentioned to the service during the second call (to a different person who said that it is normal for the legacy to pull due to the crown on the highway) that I have been in the car forum for Subaru because I was research on legacy to purchase it and that I never heard this explanation about the legacy seterign system. I think it is a bunch of bs.

I feel that there is a big disorganization at this dealership about assigning the responsibiltiy in preparation stage for delivery to the customer. I would assume that testing wheel alignment would be one thing they should do in preparation since the car was test driven by who knows how many people. Beside, this car was brought from Santa Cruz Subaru (3 hours drive form here) not by shipping but by being driven. The car had 372 mi on it when I purcahsed it. Due to my need of the light color, I purchased it when they offered the price they initially asked for the Sedan and threw at me for the wagon when they realized that I was about to purcahse it that day at another dealership. Though not the best deal, I took it for $24853 (after customer rebate).

Anyway, ANY advice on paint issue and information on wheel alighment explantion would greatly be appreciated.

Also, can anyone tell me how to find out the district manager of Subaru?

Reply to
amanda992004

My $0.02. Is the bumper plastic? If so, we're strictly talking cosmetics as far as the repair goes. If, after touch up, it looks OK, then it is OK. If it's a steel bumper, then there are rust issues, and I would prefer to get the whole bumper redone.

It is normal for a car to pull to one side on a road with a high crown, however, it is not unusual for a new vehicle to have misaligned wheels, so it should be investigated, If you can find a stertch of straight, flat road, (no crown), while driving *slowly*, let go of the wheel, drive a short distance, and then brake to a gradual stop. If the car drifts at all during this time, it is likely there is an alignment problem. Probably should be checked anyway.....shouldn't be a big thing for ther dealer.

Reply to
flyfisher7

Get the bumper touched up. Look at it from a distance. If it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, forget about it! You're gonna get stone chips, damage from other road debris, etc. soon enough this will be a non-issue. Besides, there's NEVER been a repaint IME that comes close to factory durability, so the less you mess with the factory paint, the better off you're gonna be.

Have the wheel alignment checked. Locally, if the dealer's too far away. Pay the price to have it done right. Wheel alignment's one of those issues that isn't as cut and dried as "they should have checked this..." due to a variety of things, including driving habits, road hazards, wear, loads carried and on and on. If the alignment shop offers a "lifetime" alignment service, investigate going for it unless you're certain you got all the curb smacking worked out of your system with your last car. It's an "owner responsibility" thing. Take some.

It's JUST a car after all. Go drive it instead of risking waking up Dr. Rasty again!

RTFM. You owner's manual probably has contact info for Subaru of America. Start there. Or go go Subaru's website. Or contact the State of California Consumer Affairs people. It's not rocket science for someone who's even half as intelligent and educated as you keep trying to impress us that you are. But don't be surprised if you get the brush off. Judging by your reports here, I'd guess you probably don't come across well to service people. Wonder why????

Patronizingly yours,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Plastic. What got me worried was whether it woul look uglier after the touch up.

I know. That's why I asked them yesterday whether they checked wheel-alignment during preparation for the delivery - I was concern especially since this car was brought from Santa Cruz Subaru bot by shipping. They got annoyed with my inquiry.

I plan to do just that type of testing. In fact, I talked to the service dept and mentioned this procedure of testing wheel alignment but he said that he cannot advise me to let steering go, etc. When I asked for visual inspect to see the pattern of the dirt on tires (because it's an hour drive, there is enough dirt on tires), I was told that that technique cannot be used until the car has 3000 miles or so. Is that true?

But they are making a big deal instead of agreeing to do that during the touch up. I don't want to have to amke a separate trip for that. Since they are so far away, when I get there for touch up appointment and ask them AGAIN to check wheel alignment, they would give excuse like "make an appointment", etc. So,

may be

I should go check at a tire place near by and to seewhether wheel alighment is necessary, show them the evidence if it needs and ask them to do that when I go there for tocuh up. If they give excuse of time schedule, I should ask them to pay the bill by sending me to a local tire shop there. If they don't, may be small claim court be the way to go. I just don't know whether I want to spend my time with filing that.

I have asked copies of all the records of verything done during preparation stage on that car between my purchase date and the day I brought home. I asked for that to check whether theyd did wheel-alignment or not. When I go there on Monday, I will get those copies.

Reply to
amanda

I am one step ahead of in contacting Subary Consumer ffairs but I forgot to mention about the wheel-alignment as I was talking about other things. I am going to call again now and so cannot responds to your patronization response thoroughly except that service dept is OKay but they asked for permission from Sale Dept which was being a pain.

Reply to
amanda

You REALLY do ask to have your chain yanked, don't you? I'll bet if we put 100 alignment guys in a room, put you up on stage to describe the "check alignment by the dirt on the tires method," it would bring down the house.

Where do you come up with this garbage?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

What? Only after they refused to chcek it properly, I asked for the visual inspection to check tire wear. I don't know what garbage you're talking about.

Gotta go. Haven't eaten anyhting today; already 1:30Pm.

Reply to
amanda

Way too much information.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

At that stage of showing, I can understand that the dealership wouldn't bother checking everything in and out but not knowing whether it would get sold but if it gets sold, before delivering the item (after the transaction), there should be a standard procedure to do visual inspection of the car as well as do things like wheel alighment check. May be Subaru needs to establish this kind of protocol that dealers must follow in preparation stage.

With test driving of the car, things like hitting a nail, hitting a curb, etc. can happen and I feel that it is irresponsible behavior of the dealerhship not to take those possibility into consideration during the preparation stage for delivery.

Reply to
amanda

Most of the cars I have bought have been Fords. They had a list that was checked off as the salesman did the final delivery and was signed by myself and the salesman. The Subaru salesman did go over the controls and most special Subaru features before I left. My car went from the lot through dealer prep in less than 2 hours, most of the time was spent washing it. Most car companies can tell you what they expect to be done in dealer prep. I have never heard any company that did alignment as a check of a new car. They are lucky if they get the tire pressure correct in the tires. In many new Toyota rental cars I find under chassis plugs that are supposed to be inserted during dealer prep left in the glove box. I have also found plastic film everywhere and the little plastic shipping bumpers left on rental cars also. I assume prep is left to the rental fleet operator so they are not getting done.

Read this comment here:

I'm pretty sure all we do is wash the car. Thats all that happens at my dealership. Chu buy it, we clean it up, give it to chu.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Hmm...the finance guy (he was like customer relationship person) ended up telling me that it could be tire pressure, saying that they are human being, etc. I said "I understand" and aksed whether they could the tire pressure for me when I get there. The service dept is ok about it.

My point was this: Before Chu bought it, Lee took it for a test drive and hit a curb but the saleman sitting on the side was afraid that his boss would yell at him for asking to do wheel alighment check and so didn't report about it.

So now Chu had to spend money on his brand new car to do wheel lignment and that's just not right.

I think that we the Suabaru owners should push the Subaru to develop a set of procedure that dealers must follow during the preparation. The procedure should include checking tire pressures, whether there's nail on the tires, whether the wheel alignment is proper, and at the final stage, whether there is paint damage that may have occured when the saleman or service people were moving the car from one place to another, among other things. Having done Chemistry research work for years, I can't help but try to be through in what I do and I expect the preparation stage to be done with the same quality.

Here is the number for Consumer Affairs of Subaru: 1-800-782-2783

Reply to
amanda

I had a hup cap fall off with five miles on the odometer. I took it to the service area and he wrote it up and gave me a new one for free. Since then they have all fallen off.

Reply to
Richard

Judging by your spelling, grammar and general quality of proof reading, it appears you got exactly what you give.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Five miles? Unbelievable!

I guess, you got those replaced under warranty.

Glad to know about these little things. I'll keep my expectation down from now on things like that.

Reply to
amanda

I don't need to proof read my post here. I am not getting graded for it.

Reply to
amanda

So you think... it's already happened.

Rick