coolant smell

Hello All,

I own an '02 outback wagon with approx 66,000 miles - runs great except that recently, I can smell coolant after I get out of the car. It doesn't seem to be coming thru the vents. I can't find where its leaking and my mechanic can't find it either - has anyone had this problem? Is it the water pump?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx, P Ligi

Reply to
Paris Ligi

Paris,

Obviously, I can't say for sure without looking at it first hand, but a few options you have would be to take it to (or do it yourself) the dealer and have them pressurize your cooling system. When is the last time you changed your coolant? Ever had any problems before?

The coolant or coolant vapor could be escaping through any one of your hoses (rad to block, rad to reservoir, block to rad....), your water pump, your rad itself.

At a minimum, if you were to flush it out yourself, you may just stumble across the source of it.

Reply to
gpatmac

freeze plugs?

Reply to
dr.benway

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hello All,

I found the leak... actually my friend found it...

It's coming from the driver side intake manifold.....very hard to spot since there's a cover on that side of the engine.

I'm very disappointed - the car only has 66,000 miles, luckily, I bought the extended warranty... hopefully they will honor it...

Thanx to all who replied... P Ligi

Reply to
Paris Ligi