cordless radar detectors

Does anyone know of a good cordless radar detector? Just bought a WRX and want to keep my license?

Reply to
William S. Hubbard

I have a ESCORT SOLO CORDLESS detector whish I consider the best avail. I have the std one which cost ~ 200 dollars but, a new better? S2 sells for

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
William S. Hubbard

Be aware that the cordless ones often have slightly worse range than the corded ones.

Personally, I just rigged a second "accessory socket" behind the dash, and ran the cord up under the trim to where I mount the detector.

Not quite as convenient, but cheaper and possibly more effective.

Reply to
Cam Penner

Reply to
zippy

Cordless detectors are FAR worse than their corded brethren, this I will agree.

However, I think the Escort 8500, the top BEL are all worthy options. The Valentine is top dog, for sure, but also commands top dollar.

CW

a detector, get a Valentine One and deal with the cord. No other detector is nearly as good.

Reply to
CWu

Who told you this About the V1 being better and all cordless being NG

----- Original Message ----- From: "zippy"

to get a detector, get a Valentine One and deal with the cord. No other detector is nearly as good.

Reply to
Al Dezotell

I have the 8500 and would like to wire it to the mirror, can it be done? I have the Compass auto diming mirror my WRX

to get a detector, get a Valentine One and deal with the cord. No other detector is nearly as good.

Reply to
Al Dezotell

Most detector reviews over the last number of years tend to classify radar detectors into groups of "V1" and "everyone else". V1 has been the champion by a significant margin for a while - and the price reflects that.

Cordless detectors tend to sacrifice some range. I don't have links to specific reviews, but most of them show a difference in range and sensitivity.

Reply to
Cam Penner

I think I can speak to this with some knowledge, I had a bel 945i cordless radar detector, which I replaced with a Valentine1. For a while, I ran both side by side in the car to compare. The Valentine would pick up radar way before the cordless one did, like a block or more frequently. Also, it really is true, once you experience the directional arrows of the Valentine, you can never go back to any other detector, they really do work, and they are really helpful, especially when there are multiple cops running radar..

Cam Penner wrote:

Reply to
<ddd

Al,

You can put an inline fuse into the map light assembly and run the wire out over the headliner with the mirror power. That's what I did (02 WRX).

As for cordless or cord type radar detectors.... A microwave receiver needs a certain amount of power ro operate, and since most new ones are cmos, theey take VERY little power. So they either get their power from the car battery or internal batteries. Guess what?? THEY'RE BOTH BATTERY POWERED!!!

Reply to
Bud

Then go to your local library and look it up. Car and Driver's radar detector tests consistently rate the Valentine best, and by quite a considerable margin. The cordless Escort didn't even come close.

Reply to
zippy

Yup, the hardwired models did best. V1 and top of the line Passports are better than most of the rest. The Bel's tend to squack/brap/breep all the time... Terry - '03 Silver Legacy SE sedan - 36 miles! '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 23k miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio

What size fues did you use?

I have the PP 8500 on the windsheild and was thinking of your setup, The only thing different is that I want to mount the 8500 to the compass with a Visor clip, I'm worried about the weight of the 8500 hanging off the compass

Aldez

Reply to
Al Dezotell

I agree. The cordless ones just don't have the power to keep sensors running and powerful. Both the Passport 8500 and Valentine 1 have hardwire kits available. Those are considered the best radar detectors on the market. The Passport is $299 and the Valentine is $399.

Andrman