Cost estimate for head gasket on '98 Outback

My 98 Outback has unfortunately blown a head gasket. Before I have someone repair it I want to call around for estimates. Does anyone here have an idea as to what is a fair cost? I've been quoted $2250 already, which includes both heads and an extra $100 for misc. parts, if needed.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether to go to a dealer or an unaffiliated shop?

Thanks, Will

Reply to
WM

Mine cost me AUD$965 (US$600) including parts (all seals, gaskets, oil, skimming of heads, engine out and put back in) , however there was no other damage and US repairers use gold plated parts.

Reply to
Pete D

Sounds very steep - my dealer(Becker Subaru - Lehigh Valley, PA) just quoted me $1,160 for the job (2000 OB - 82,000 mi) at a recent oil change. Sticker shock all the same. I plan to let them do the timing belt as long as the engine is up (105,000 mi recommended).

Reply to
Stan G

My 2000 Forrester blew it's head gasket at about 89,000 miles.I bought the

1000,000 mile extended warrenty so I did not have to pay but the service rep said it would have been about $1,000.00.

The extended warrenty was bout $1400.00 so I lost a bit on that deal.

David

Reply to
ShaihHulud