Crankshaft Sensor Out-of-range Error

My ?97 Legacy Outback won?t start. OBDII code says Crankshaft Sensor Out-of-Range error. Sensor wiring and resistance seen from computer are in spec (2K ohms). Suggestions?

This happened after replacing blown head gaskets on the EJ25 engine.

Thanks!

Reply to
Fuzzy

Crankshaft sensor usually indicates a problem with timing. However, the out-of-range error could mean it is damaged and generating a high or lower voltage than expected.

Reply to
JD

Hmmmm...I seem to recall reading about an easily broken 'tab' on the crank pulley that the sensor uses. Might be worth a look.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Excellent suggestions. I put in a new crankshaft position sensor (it was only about $15), but still has the same "P0336 Crankshaft Position sensor A Ckt Range/P-erf" error. It?s looking like it may be the chipped tooth, then, or possibly bad ECM.

"Fuzzy" wrote: > My '97 Legacy Outback won't start. OBDII code says Crankshaft > Sensor Out-of-Range error. Sensor wiring and resistance seen > from computer are in spec (2K ohms). Suggestions? > > This happened after replacing blown head gaskets on the EJ25 > engine. > > Thanks!

Reply to
Fuzzy