Cruise not working on '98 Impreza Outback sport

I recently purchased a 1998 Impreza Outback Sport with 135,000 mi. This car runs great and everything is in great working order, except the cruise control.

Recently, I decided to have my mechanic look at the cruise control. He told me that he didn't have the equipment to diagnose the problem, so he told me to take the car to the local Subaru dealer. The Subaru shop told me that the ECU is the problem. The dealer gave me a quote of about $460 parts/labor to replace the ECU. They then informed me that they didn't have the part in stock, but that they would order it. They had me make an appointment for the next week.

Eight days later I show up for my appointment, and they tell me that the part isn't in. The shop manager tells me that he'll call me when the part comes in to schedule another appointment. That was three days ago.

I'm just wondering if the ECU could be the problem and if it's really this expensive. I'm also wondering if parts for my car are hard to come by in general. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Jimbo

Reply to
JimboJumbo

iksalama

Gosh Jimbo,

I just wish you luck.

I'll be watching to see if it turns out to be the ECU.

Odd though; that the dealship can't get the part in a week.

Reply to
[ evL ]