cv boot

Have a 91 Legacy fwd, any one ever use one of those 2 piece CV replacement boots?

Reply to
Jr

Kim W

I tried and failed to use one (couldn't find the right size), but I did succeed in Buying a whole boot, cutting it in half, and then gluing it back together around the joint. It kept the joint intact for a few years. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're desperate, but if you are, it's probably a reasonable way to keep the car on the road for a few months.

Of course, buting the whole boot isn't much more expensive (may even be cheaper) than buying the 2-piece. THough the real reason you'd do it is that you can put it on without taking the joint off. I have no idea how hard that is, but I imagine it's past the comfort zone of most people who'd even consider a two piece boot.

Now, I've been told many times that if the boot is broken, it's a better idea to just replace the whole joint, as the joint will probbly have taken damage between when the boot tore and when you noticed the problem, though the people who have told me this have all been mechanics who had something to gain by me replacing the whole joint.

On the other hand, replacing the joint, in my experience, isn't much more expensive than just having the boot replaced -- if you're having a mechanic do it (The part is a lot more expensive, but the labor is less)

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

My mechanic just replaced the whole assembly. The total price was the same as replacing the boot, and the new assy. has a lifetime warranty.

Reply to
Sheldon