CV boot- '91 Legacy

Hi guys- A quick question for you. I'm readying my daughter's college car for sale, and see that the driver's side rubber CV boot is torn. This is a front wheel drive '91 Legacy sedan, with automatic transmission. Can you good folks give me an idea of a reasonable cost for this repair? I won't be doing the work myself. There is a bit of noise from this area, so I am assuming the joint assembly will need to be replaced.

Thanks-

Dave

Reply to
The Other Dave

If I were selling a '91, I'd probably sell it as is.

Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

If one is torn the other one will be soon. Replace them both. I had both shafts replaced, with new parts, at a local shop for $275. I thought that was reasonable. Lots of folks send more than that to the bank every month to pay for their new car :)

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Reply to
The Other Dave

The times (many. '91 was apparently a bad year for the Subaru CV joint) I had this done, it ran me around $150 each.

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

Reply to
The Other Dave

Broken boot precipitated the trade in of my wife's '92 Nissan for a new Forester. Repair would have cost about $300 and as others say, you should do both or prepare to have the other fail. Surprisingly, dealer gave us book value on the car for trade in and did not care about the boot. And,it was not like he made up for it in the rest of the deal which was excellent.

I would have been hard pressed to sell car to an individual without telling them about boot.

Reply to
Frank

The replacement of both shafts cost me less than one month's payment on a new car.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

I keep cars for a long time but, when cost of repair approaches book value, get rid of them. If car is totaled, all you will get from insurance is book value. We almost lost the Nissan a couple of years ago when someone ran into it in a store parking lot and repair was $1,000. Also had an old Mazda stolen and stripped and we had just put on new tires. All we got was book value.

I save money and pay cash for cars. Then I have the luxury of the warranty with no worries of big repair bills for a few years.

Reply to
Frank