CV Boot-99 Forester

Nearly a couple of years ago I posted a query to this newsgroup on what could be the source of a solid thumping (noise and physical feedback into steering wheel) coming from the front end steering when making slow turns, like into a parking space- usually after the car has been driven a number of miles to get things warmed up. One suggestion was the viscous couplers. I had our local mech check this out and they agreed that is was the viscous coupler. Repair estimates ranged from $2K to $4K depending on rebuilding the current trans or replacing with a used one. I didn't opt for either. Then there was burning oil smell and I found that the right front CV boot was ripped and spraying lube around. I had the CV boot and axle replaced for around $180 and the thumping is now gone. Now it still may be the viscous couplers because the weather is pretty cold now and I am not sure if that is dampening out the thumping but after many miles and plenty of time to warm things up the thumping is no longer there. Though I would update this forum. Thanks for the helpful suggestions in the past. Mark

Reply to
Mark

Good to hear the problem has been resolved and it didn't cost an arm and leg. Always a bad idea to tell a mechanic "i think the problem is...." because if it is an expensive repair some mechanics will say "Yep, you pinpointed it". I've been down that expensive road a few times.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY