Cylinder Head Torque Sequence on 1985 1.8 L EA-82 Engine

I have seen a couple of VERY different torquing sequences for the 1.8 L 1985 Subaru Wagon EA-82 cylinder heads reported on the net. The one for the "1781cc SOHC, 1.8 L" engine

thatagrees with the Chilton's manual suggests tightening in seqentuallyrepeated pattern to 22 ft. lbs., 43 ft. lbs., and finally to 47 ft.lbs.

Another sequence for the "1820cc SOHC, 1.8 L" engine

Step 1: Tighten all bolts to 22 ft. lbs. Step 2: Tighten all bolts to 51 ft. lbs. Step 3: Lossen all bolts, in reverse torque sequence, by 180* Step 4: Lossen all bolts, in reverse torque sequence again by 180* Step 5: Tighten bolts #1 and #2, in the torque sequence, to 25 ft. lbs. Step 6: Tighten bolts #3,4,5 and #6, in the torque sequence, 11 ft. lbs. Step 7: Tighten all bolts, in torque sequence, by 80-90* Step 8: Tighten all bolts, in torqe seqence, again by 80-90*

This second proceedure seems like a "stretch-to-yield" prescription that would make the head bolts one-time use throwaways.

Any suggestions on how to determine the 'correct' torqueing proceedure for my engine (how do I determine if it is a '1785cc' or a '1829cc')? The engine is a 1985 EA-82, serial # 637774, carbureted, with external hex head cap cylinder head bolts installed in a Subaru FWD Wagon. The Head gasket being installed is a Victor Reinz.

Also, the torqueing pattern and need to retorque after run-in are ambiguiously addressed in my Chilton's, so any guidance here would also be welcomed.

Reply to
Steve Northway