Dealer experiences -- San Diego, CA

We test drove an '04 Forester XT today and while we *loved* the car our salesperson left a lot to be desired. We ended up walking out when he refused to quote us a price that was below sticker. Does anyone here have experience with any of the San Diego area dealers? We're ready to buy but I'm damned if I'm going to do business with the guy we talked to today.

Also, does the security system upgrade actually have any useful features like an engine kill or does it just make lots of loud noises and flash the headlights? Our guy today didn't seem very well informed.

Thanks in advance, Deej

Reply to
The Impudent Guttersnipe

Sometimes when a car is in demand, it isn't readily available at a discount.

I've been hoping to test drive an XT soon too. Can any one confirm that these wagons can be had for dealer cost plus some money, or for substantially below sticker. If you got a good deal on your XT, here's a good time to brag about it.

Reply to
David

Hi,

I recently (Nov) purchased an '04 Forester XT at Subaru Carlsbad and had a great experience. The sticker was almost 27K and I got it for

24,499. It's a silver XT, 5spd, with several options. The experience was awesome.

I used their internet purchase program available through their web site. Got a price before going in to the dealership, went in for a test drive and everything was extremely smooth.

Before doing business with the Carlsbad dealership, I talked with the dealership in Kearny Mesa--that was a miserable experience. The sales person in Kearny Mesa would not quote me a price on their Forester XT. I also went to the dealer in El Cajon and they didn't have what I was looking for and wanted to sell me anything else on their lot.

I'm not recommending Subaru Carlsbad, but I wanted to share that I did have a good experience with them.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Oscar

If you're going to drive all the way up to Carlsbad, go another 50 miles to Irvine Subaru (actually in Lake Forest). I got about $1,800 off sticker for my loaded XT Premium back in late September. They were nice people to work with. Haven't been back for my first oil change yet, so can't speak to service. However, my as-encountered, informal survey of Subie owners I meet yields positive impressions of their service as well.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

Just to mention that one should bargain UP from the dealer invoice, not DOWN from the sticker. I paid $98 over dealer invoice for my '04 OBW LLBean, which was about $2200 off the sticker IIRC.

Reply to
Alan

I drive about 50 miles out of my way to have my WRX serviced at Irvine Subaru. I've taken the car there 3 times so far, and I'll take it there the next time I need dealer service. It's sometimes difficult to get a service appointment there, I've had to wait over a week to get in, so plan ahead.

Steve

2 Stroke
2 Stroke, thanks. That's encouraging. Thanks, too, for the tip about appointments. I'm just about ready for my first oil change.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

I agree, Irvine is the best "San Diego" dealer within reach - by a wide margine.

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed