Defroster short ('00 Outback)

Hi,

I've got a MY00 Outback with about 52K miles. In the last few days the windshield defroster setting on the Vent Selector has blown my A/C fuse (15A at slot 17 in the under-dash fuse panel).

When the fan is turned on (1 to 4) and the selector is turned to defrost (possibly also defrost/feet), the fuse blows. I understand that the A/C is turned on when the defroster is selected, whether or not the A/C button light is lit. The A/C fuse controls power to the entire Ventilation control, so I loose the fan and rear window defroster, as well.

I haven't made any mods to the wiring, or gone through the dash. I'm not aware of any service that's been done requiring the dash to be disassembled. A different post mentioned the possibility of a short in the rear window defroster in the wiring harness between the body and rear hatch, but the rear defroster isn't powered up at all.

Any previous experience or thoughts?

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
boydjw

Determined that short is in the A/C. Fuse is also blown when AC button is set on.

I'm beginning to think there may be a problem in the compressor, maybe that the compressor is locked up. There was no indication that the belt was slipping before the problem started, though.

Joe

Reply to
boydjw

Try unplugging the connector tht goes to the compressor clutch and see if the fuse still blows. If it doesn't you'll know where the problem is.

Reply to
mulder