Did I just get ripped off? (2001 Outback Wagon)

I think I just got taken - not once, but twice - by a local shop. I could use some specific advice from the knowledgable folks in this newsgroup.

A few months back, at about 80k miles on the OD, my alternator failed. I had had good results from this shop with a previous vehicle, so I had no qualms taking my wagon there.

With my permission, they replaced the alternator with a remanufactured part. Ever since then, I have been having intermittent problems with dashboard instrumentation. For example, the gas guage and the clock are now always on, even when the enging is completely shut down and the key is not in the accessories position in the ignition. From time to time, the rest of the instrumentation will not come on with the engine - like the speedometer and the engine temperature guage - and the red LED fake burglar alarm light will continue to flash, just as if the engine was off.

The other day, the "check engine" light came on and stayed on. I could see nothing wrong with the engine, but I cheerfully admit that I would not necessarily recognize a problem, even if it bit me on the butt.

I took it back to the shop, and they said the computer diagnostic tool indicated the fuel guage indicator was failing. I was told that it could just be a corroded contact, or they could replace the failing sensor outright.

I asked them to replace the sensor outright because I am planning to trade the car in this month, and I do not want to argue with a salesperson over the value of the car when the "check engine" light is on. The shop charged me for a replacement sensor.

Since then, the "check engine" light comes on and off intermittently, and the problems I have been having since the alternator was replaced continue.

I am starting to get the feeling that they tried to repair the original alternator, reinstalled it in the car, called it a remanufactured part and charged me accordingly.

My question to the group is, how can I prove or disprove that they sold me back my own alternator? Does the part have a number or a stamp that would indicate time of manufacture? Would a knowledgable Subaru technician be able to make a reasonable determination whether or not I've been ripped off?

I just don't want to be ripped off a third time when I take the car into the showroom, and I am given less in trade for it than it is worth, all because the check engine light decides to blink back on.

I sure would appreciate your comments or suggestions.

Thanks in advance, Andrew.

Reply to
hey4ndr3w

I don't know how much this will help, but I have a remanufactured alternator from Subaru and it is marked as such with a sticker. When I got the car the current alternator was already on it (I just got it used). I will say that the alternator went out on my other car and it caused all kinds of crazy things to happen. There is too much of a coincidence between the replacement of the alternator and your problems. You either got a bad one, in my opinion, or they screwed something up during the install. I would have taken the car right back when the problems started after the alternator swap.

Reply to
Sheldon

Sounds like possibly a bad ground connection.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

My thinking too.

Unlikely that a repair shop would try to fix an alternator then claim they installed a rebuilt one. It would be more profitable to sell the rebuilt one.

OTOH, it is *not* unheard of to get defective rebuilt parts out-of-the box.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I hadn't thought about that, but it could be.

My first thought is a bad (shorted) diode in the alternator. That can be checked by measuring the AC voltage across the battery with the engine running. The AC voltage, measured with a digital voltmeter, should be under

0.1 (1/10) volt. A bad diode will make that soar, usually to more than 1/2 volt. The last bad alternator I looked at was producing 1.7 VAC across the battery!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee
2nd the idea of the diode in the alternator.

With problems in the power supply system (Alternator), anything else could appear as defective.

Good luck

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
AS

Thanks all for the hints and ideas. I am bringing the car back to the shop to give them a chance to fix the problems.

Reply to
hey4ndr3w