diffs. between Subaru models

Hello,

I had difficulty differentiating the Subaru models :-) Especially when they appear wagon-like.

Is this about right?

Impreza: sporty compact car Legacy: midsize car Forester: compact SUV Outback: luxury Forester

Thanks.

Reply to
Libuser

Not too far off. The Forester is more or less the king of small SUVs, at least in tests that take into account the turbo model and put an emphasis on go speed. :) It's also important to note that the Outback is essentially a Legacy with a lift kit, and actually used to be just another Legacy trim level but it was spun off as another model a few years back. The current Outback is still a Legacy at heart, but with each year they seem to look a bit more different from the standard Legacy.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Which version of the Outback? Most are based on the Legacy, but the Outback Sport is Impreza based.

And the OP forgot the Baja, which can trace itself to the Brat.

Reply to
y_p_w

Subaru makes two basic platforms, the Impreza and the Legacy. Here is how it goes:

Impreza: Impreza, Impreza Wagon (rare), Outback Sport Wagon, STi (zoom!) Baja, Forester Legacy: Legacy (4dr & Wagon), Outback Sedan (very rare), Outback Wagon (most common wagon)

"Outback"ing a vehicle means a heavier duty suspension, higher ground clearance, and maybe a few other minor changes. XT versions of vehicles are

4cyl turbocharged engines, and may include other alterations.
Reply to
Alan

I was, just the other day, trying to explain to my wife the difference between the Forester and the Outback and must admit I got confused! Besides the obvious external differences,I wonder how much they differ mechanically and in function/performance.

Jay M '03 Baja USA

Reply to
jMon

Good call. I was a bit out of it last night and forgot about the Sport.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Check out

LB

Not even close. The Impreza is available as a wagon or sedan and I think some are sporty and some not. The Legacy and Outback are the same car...I see Outback as just a trim level of the Legacy. Both are available in sedan or wagon. To confuse things more I think there might still be an Outback version of the Impreza as well. The Outback is definitely NOT a luxury Forrester. TG

Reply to
TG

I've seen quite a few Impreza RS wagons on the street. You also forgot the WRX.

I've only seen one Outback sedan on the street. Ugly looking thing. With its high ground clearance, it somewhat reminded me of an AMC Eagle sedan.

Reply to
y_p_w

There is a WRB WRX Wagon 3 doors down from me.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Close but no cigar.

Here's my take, at least for the USA

Impreza: Impreza sedan, Impreza wagon, Impreza Outback Sport wagon, Impreza WRX sedan, Impreza WRX wagon (like mine), Impreza WRX STi sedan, Forester

Legacy: Legacy sedan, Legacy Wagon, Outback sedan, Outback wagon, Baja

Both platforms are solid, and both can make very sporting rides.

The Baja is based on the Legacy, not the Impreza platform. It's spirit does come from the departed Brat though. The Forester is a Impreza underneath and can hold 5 people. The upcoming large 7 passenger Subaru vehicle will certainly not be Impreza based, but I don't know for certain if it's based on a stretched Legacy or has it's own, new architecture.

- Byron

Reply to
Byron

The new 05 OBW is quite different than older Outbacks and very different in feel and nature than the Forester. The new 05 is quieter, smoother and more refined ride, more refined interior, more legroom in the rear, fold flat rear seats, better sound system, slightly more HP than the base Forester, better gas mileage than previous OB versions but about the same at the Forester, and "feels" a lot peppier (love the Sportshift).

Do an AB comparison between the 05 and 2000-2004 OBW and then try the Forester and you might find yourself drifting towards the 05.

Ron

05 Atlantic Blue OBW 2.5i Auto
Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

It will be built by Subaru, but a portion of production will be rebranded as Saab.

ZZ

Only if three of those people are *very* small. The most *my* Forester's ever held is two people about my size, one teenager, and a Labrador retriever.

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt

A big difference for me is the Forester is made in Fuji, Japan whereas the Outback is made in Indiana, USA.

Reply to
Archie

AUSTRALIA

CLARIFICATION:

The US markey Outback is made in US. The rest-of-world (AFAIK) is made in Japan

Sp> A big difference for me is the Forester is made in Fuji, Japan whereas

Reply to
Spinifex

Original Outback was famously described in Australia as a "Liberty (your Legacy) on stilts". UK description was a Legacy with body cladding. Outback Sport is nothing to do with other OBs & is called Impreza RV in many other markets because it's basically an Impreza wagon with jacked up suspension, trim and pricetag. To the earlier mechanical question, both platforms feel similar but same engine in Impreza iwll go harder & use less fuel as car is lighter. Impreza tends to feel smaller & flimsier than Legacy or OB. Early Foresters feel rollier and more tippy-toe than anything else in the range.

Reply to
hippo

No kidding! Carpooled to an event a couple weeks ago with someone who had an Impreza. Pretty damned uncomfortable for someone 6' tall! Zero leg room. Short person in the back seat behind me & she didn't seem all that comfortable either.

Definitely not the car to buy if you have long legs!!

Reply to
Bobby The D