Disable Your DRLs

Go to lightsout.org and follow directions. I did mine today and look forward to better fuel economy and longer bulb life. I am also resisting the nanny state. It feels good!!!!!

Reply to
bigjim

Hmm. And some one runs into you, and hope you feel good!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Headlights on during the day won't stop drunks or sleeping drivers from running into you. I'm still driving an old '92 Subie Legacy and get a choice of when my headlights are on or off (but I do like that they get turned off when I turn off the ignition switch).

Reply to
VanguardLH

"First off, as of July, 2005, there are no federal laws in the US that mandate DRLs on passenger vehicles."

Well, gee, maybe they should update their web site every year, at least. The laws may not have changed (by having new ones show up that mandate DRLs) but a statement based back in 2005 is hardly of value today as to whether or not such laws exist. Makes you wonder what else is antiquated at this web site.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Mine still turn off with key. I like that. All it took was pulling the white plug from the DRL module attached to steering column.

Reply to
bigjim

here's VanguardLH's last post ->:

Canadians were the first country that I know of that made 'headlights constantly on' mandatory on all their cars after proving that they increased that cars visibility to others enough to make it law.

Here in Maine, we passed a law three years ago making it mandatory to put your headlights on during the rain.

It will make you more visible to drunks and everyone - albeit they aren't a substitute for a good 'force field.'

Curious, just what sort of a load drain does having the lights on have on an alternator so that mileage is reduced?

Reply to
Buddy

There isn't. It's like .01 % (1/10,000) of gas consumed per mile. i.e. NO measurable impact on gas milage. That "study" went around and got completely debunked all over the internet in 1999 or so.

If you care about saving gas, keep your tires inflated, engine and drive train fluids changed regularly, take the stupid-gay ass "Thule" rack off your roof when you are not using it, and stop driving like a retarded monkey in heat and relax a bit. Those things will get you better gas savings than keeping the lights off will.

Plus, with the lights on, you are less likely to have to pay for a new car cuz someone didn't see your damn fool ass coming at dusk or in the rain.

Reply to
.._..

here's .._..'s last post ->:

I suspected that the savings would be negligible and find lights on a great idea. I always have them on but especially at dawn & dusk when driving with the sun behind me so others can see me. But the 'stupid-gay' Thule rack comment was uncalled for ;-)

Reply to
Buddy

You know, I have nothing against DRL's (although personally, I prefer not to have them). But some cars that use the high beams with reduced power still are bright enough to cause a distraction when they are behind you, even in broad daylight. Where is the safety in that?

I think most states have a 'wipers-on, lights-on' law these days, which makes good sense.

If you REALLY are concerned about visibility, then you need to add one of those strobe lights like some school buses have on their roofs. ;-)

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

I drove for 20+ years in cars without DRL's and the times I got hit had nothing to do with lighting.

Reply to
bigjim

Reply to
bigjim

Better fuel economy!? LOL. The bulbs combined only draw 100 watts. You'd be better off leaving the A/C and radio off.

Reply to
JD

OK, you really said this? We'll have them send the check to your grave, so you can have it. If you get hit, it might not just be your car?

Reply to
Bob Noble

With a light behind you sticking lights on the front is actually camouflage.

Reply to
nospam

Couldn't agree more! My bike or car lights are on most of the time

*except* when the sun's behind me adn *especially* when it's behind me and low in the sky. Then I want to be as big a dark blob as possible, not a little light trying to show up against a bloody big one! Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

So do we get to shotgun the car trying to take out those superbright blue-tint headlights that blind others (so the bozo doesn't blind others with their lights)?

Reply to
VanguardLH

I understand about using lights as camouflage, the military checked it out, but it works at when the object is on the horizon at some distance. If you want to argue that you are better off not running lights with the sun behind you (not just a light!) then you need to pay more attention to the cars coming at you when you drive into the sun and see whether those with lights are invisible to you. I'm not 17 and I've made my own observations and disagree with your's based on personal experience. Cheers!

Reply to
Buddy

The problem isn't so much the headlights (except that I agree that those blue-tint lights are very annoying *when they're coming at you*), it's the fact that the bozo behind you is driving an SUV or truck or something with a taller profile, but that's still more of a problem at night than in the daytime.

BTW, my car doesn't have DRL's, I choose when I turn them on or off. They work though.

Reply to
Buddy

Hey Buddy, I agree with you. All motor cycles should only drive with the lights on most all the time. If not for yourself, do it for all those in the cars, as they may accidentally hit you and kill or hurt you and feel real bad about it. They might get hurt or killed too, so it's just a good idea. Ones family might not be too happy either if one got hit. I choose to drive with my cars headlights on all the time and I like the way the lights go off when I turn off the engine and I don't have to remember to turn them on when it rains, as that's the law now around here. Doing things right, one might live long enough to get some experience and live to a ripe old age, if one doesn't accidently run into one of those without the lights on. :O)

Reply to
Bob Noble