Disconecting Front ABS only

wondering if the front ABS can be disconnected on an 07' Impreza leaving the rear working? I wanted to disconnect it all but got to thinking the rear will probably lock up like a FWD car without ABS, and that almost got me killed once, so would like to leave that working.

VF

Reply to
houndman

The big question is WHY?

Reply to
nobody >

used to be with nose heavy cars, especially FWD, the rear wheels would lock up when braking, and could make the rear come around, So first the car co's offered a manual brake fluid proportioning valve, so you could cut the fluid or pressure to the rear wheels, that you could buy from the parts dept. Guess they didn't have ABS figured out for cars, though they did for trucks.

After skiding sideways off a highway, in a large FWD car, when hitting the brakes and turning the wheel. The rear wheels locked up and the show started. Slid across the opposite shoulder, down a grass enbankment, stopping 18" from a 24" dia tree, that was right next to me. I wouldn't drive the car any faster than I had to after that, and tried to avoid any emergency situations, since there might be a time or conditions, that I wouldn't be able to keep the car from doing

360's.

All I had done to cause the slide was, decide not to try to continue to pass a camaro who wanted to race me when I got next to him, on a 2 lane through a forrest, when I saw headlights pop up in the distance. I leaned on the brakes gently, and started to get back in the lane when the Camaro was ahead of me.

I don't want the ABS at all, and would rather take my chances without it, and sometimes I Like to be able to lock the brakes, but I prefer having the fonts lock, not the rears. With the Subes supposedly tail happy, I'm feeling that ABS in the back may be an idea, like they did on pickups. I'd rather be to blame for a problem than the machine, and I haven't been yet.

Maybe I'll just let some air into the rear brake lines, unless that will mess up the ABS system, and have No brakes.

VF

Reply to
houndman

You might try searching the Brake/Suspension forum at

and if no one has done it before, post a question as to how to disable the front ABS.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Yeah, here are 12 threads. If you search inside these 12 for the word 'front' you may find some good info.

Also, you might try the Motorsports forum. I bet autox-ers have tried every ABS modification possible.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

info.http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=10105489>

You seem to know these Sube's or where to find things.)

Haven't found what I am looking for yet, but learning some things, like how ABS works over bumps. Beautiful..(( Been delaying buying an

07' wagon, and don't like the 08' 5 door, and wondering what i might be getting myself into...

VF

Reply to
houndman

info.http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=10105489>>

More 'book learnin' than experience. In addition to Rick and others that lurk around here; I occasionally check in at

and over at
, to get educated. Both good resources though VERY different from each other.

(owner of '03 Outback wagon and '06 WRX wagon)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

info.http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=10105489>

atwww.ultimatesubaru.org, to get educated. Both good resources though

how do you like the WRX wagon? I can't decide between the 07' Impreza

2.5i and WRX wagon. Don't like the scoop and stiffness of the WRX, but not sure the 2.5i is gona be enough power. Have to give it a good test. Maybe the few mods for the 2.5i will be enough. Don't think there are many left.

VF

Reply to
houndman

info.http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=10105489>>

atwww.ultimatesubaru.org, to get educated. Both good resources though

Well, my WRX is even stiffer with the pink springs on now! One Saturday I burned through 3/4 tank of fuel and half my brake pad material at a local track - the next weekend I was hauling 380 pounds of landscaping material with it. My 2 favorite cars I owned in the past were a '69 datsun SRL 311 roadster and an '81 Honda Civic wagon - now I have both in one vehicle! I'd say, if you frequently carry a load and/or 2-3 other passengers PLUS merging onto crazy freeways filled with crazy drivers - get the WRX.(also, the WRX is gonna need premium fuel, the 2.5i maybe mid or low grade is OK?) Also, you check out turbo Forester? - probably rides better than the WRX with almst the same power. As for beefing up the normally aspirated engine in the 2.5i - there just isn't gonna be anything. maybe a pony or

2 with a muffler, maybe a pony or 2 with an intake. Then you're looking at stuff like lightened crank and accessory pulleys, lightened flywheel. There just isn't much 'modder/tuner' stuff for the engine. Of course, plenty of suspension and braking bits will go on it.

good luck

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

info.http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=10105489>

atwww.ultimatesubaru.org, to get educated. Both good resources though

don't like the Forester much, and don't plan to carry weight, just bulk, like a few 60 lb hounds, or some big cabinets, maybe. Think I need to test the 2.5i on the road, to see how it moves at high revs. Had a Merc Capri with their 75HP Kent engine, that got Netted to 54, and that was decent on the road when you got the revs up in the higher gears.It was a lighter car, but 173HP in the Sube should be OK, or even better. I miss all the options you used to be able to get on Am cars.

VF

Reply to
houndman

this is one reason to keep abs enabled on all 4. i have a large(long) speed bump on the entrace to the complex where i live and abs helps immensely to avoid the back tires dragging on the speed bump when the front end left the speed bump but the front tires haven't touched the ground yet. i know it helps because my other car does not have abs and the back tires are scraped against the speed bump when i'm half done going over it. this is the only time when i wish i had abs on that car though. the brakes on it are way, way better than they are on my outback sport.

buying an

i don't recommend the basic impreza. i posted on numerous occasions explaining why. in your case wrx will have somewhat better brakes than 2.5i.

07 is 4 pot and 08 is 2 pot. what that does to the stopping power i don't know. what i do know is that an aftermaket set would set you back for $2k plus so choose carefully. try fishing for the words "breaks" in the 08 impreza reviews and compare the 70-0 stopping distances to 07. post what you find here, especially if there is a regression in stopping distance on wrx
Reply to
isquat