Does Subaru offer a different stereo?

Does Subaru offer a better stereo system? Or do they just have the one system that comes standard with all Subies?

Reply to
Nicolaas

ok Marcus???

Reply to
Nicolaas

I have no idea about what Subaru offers in their sound systems -- the systems cars come with are often pretty awful so I end up replacing them with an aftermarket system

is a good source, because they will giveyou wiring harnesses with your purchase that will fit your car. Remco

Reply to
Remco

I went to Crutchfield. It says that none of the cd recievers fit my 05 OBW.

Reply to
Nicolaas

Weird -- your stereo isn't a DIN standard, then?

Reply to
Remco

This comes all the time:

LB Aug 31 2004, 2:55 pm hide options

Newsgroups: alt.autos.subaru From: "LB" - Find messages by this author Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:55:49 -0700 Local: Tues, Aug 31 2004 2:55 pm Subject: Re: Subarau Outback 2005 & XM Satellite radio?...can't get it withou Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

I wanted to install MP3 to my new Outback 2.5i Limited (car rocks!). While 6 CDs are good, MP3 is far better. I went to high end shop (Magnolia High Fi) and here is the story:

as of today no after market radios can be installed due the integrated climate controls, etc. They can manufacture custom face plate to match the original one, for extra $600. However they said, in about 6 mo some 3rd party will come up with the custom face plate and it will be cheap. At least this how it happened with the Ford Focus and it's stupid oval radio.

so I am holding on to my old MP3

Reply to
LB

Is it so different than my WRX?

I realize that things are integrated, but there is a normal double-DIN slot, right? In which case you can go to

and order this piece to fill the gap.

Reply to
Mike

No, filling the DIN slot it not enough. An entire new custom faceplate with space for integrated climate control must be manufactured.

Reply to
LB

Is that because in previous MY designs the original shape is not square? I don't see why a din pocket can't go in the bottom spot and a single din radio in the upper.... at least on the MY05 the radio is square, 2-din, and in a spate "window" from the climate controls.

Reply to
Mike

No, it's because Outback 2005 uses integrated console with controls (climate, etc) OTHER then radio located in the same console. There is no separate radio to replace. It's a entire one piece deal.

Check this out:

LB

Unfortunately, your options are limited since you have an integrated stereo system. If you are seriously not happy with the system you do have a few options.

  1. If your not happy with the sound quality you could just try replacing the speakers with good after market ones. My suggestion is the Polk Audio db6500 component system. This kit comes with the proper crossovers so you don't have to worry about sending the wrong frequency to the wrong speaker.

  1. If your not happy with the "umph" the speakers are putting out, you can replace them and add an amplifier to the mix. Just make sure you get an amplifier that has line level inputs.

  2. You can go to a fabricator and see if they can cobble together a new faceplate and DIN opening(s) for your car, so that you can more easily swap in a new headunit.

Its all personal preference, but I've never been entirely satisfied with any vehicle's sound system. However, I have learned to deal with their shortcomings since a realize that getting a correct sound-stage in a vehicle is nearly impossible.

Best of luck!

-Kurt

Nicolaas wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

A friend of mine just had to do that for his car. Basically the entire dash panel had to be replaced. Custom made, so it wasn't cheap, but he knew he'd have to do this and still bought the car, so it was a planned expense.

This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the OEM stereos were available with more features, but typically they aren't. Offering an OEM stereo with mp3 playback or at least line inputs would satisfy a large amount of people.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

I agree on all points. Frankly, I was surprised that with all of the technology that went into the new Outback that it was lacking such features. This includes the lack of the navigation system that made it into their Japanese promo pics. What is more surprising, is that even with their GM influence that XM radio didn't even make it in there.

-Kurt

Hallraker wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

Subaru did offer Macintosh stereos for some Outbacks - there is one in mine. It works great for me. Mine holds 1 CD, and I believe the one in the 2003 or 2004 would hold 6 CDs.

I don't see any mention of Macintosh as an option on the current Subaru web site. Not sure what happened.

kl

2002 Outback VDC Sedan

Nicolaas wrote:

Reply to
kl

"kl" wrote: > Subaru did offer Macintosh stereos for some Outbacks - there > is one in > mine. It works great for me. Mine holds 1 CD, and I believe > the one in > the 2003 or 2004 would hold 6 CDs. > > I don't see any mention of Macintosh as an option on the > current Subaru > web site. Not sure what happened. > > > kl > 2002 Outback VDC Sedan > > > > Nicolaas wrote: > > >Does Subaru offer a better stereo system? Or do they just > have the one > >system that comes standard with all Subies? > >

I was talking to a Subaru representative at the Portland Auto Show and he said that Subaru dealerships do have replacement panels for the radio/climate control. Either he knew what he was talking about, or he was F.O.S. Anyway, it wouldn?t hurt to call around to a some Subaru dealerships and find out what they have.

As far as why no XM, GM let their contract with XM expire and therefore they stopped putting in satellite radios. Hence, that?s a big reason why Subarus don?t have one.

The 2005 Outback VDC Sedan comes with a radio not offered in any other

2005 Legacy or Outback. The VDC comes with a MP3/6-CD radio. If you can get your hands on one of these, then there?s no need to replace the instrument panel. That is, if you not looking for satellite radio.

Green_Monster

2005 LL Bean Outback (Green)
Reply to
Green_Monster

Interesting. Not offered, they say, but I doubt the parts department would turn someone down if they ordered one. On the other hand, given the outlandish prices of most dealership parts, I can only imagine what an OEM stereo would go for. In that case, you might be better off getting a custom faceplate and an aftermarket stereo instead.

I am curious about the level of mp3 functionality in it though. The earliest aftermarket mp3 decks were somewhat limited in features and functions, for instance some of them didn't read filename and/or id3 tag information. I'm wondering if the Outback one has the same limitations, or if it has features comparable to most of the current aftermarket alternatives.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

therefore they stopped putting in satellite radios. Hence, that's a big reason why Subarus don't have one

LOL. Someone's feeding you a line of shit.

Reply to
frontmed

Agreed...maybe it was the same regional rep that said he could pick up alternate blanks for aftermarket radios.

What does GM have in FHI, ten or fifteen percent interest?

Reply to
CompUser

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack