Does the Outback clutch have to be heavy?

Started driving a 2003 Outback with a (proverbial)10 tonne clutch pedal. So heavy I got joint pain in my knee after a 40Km city drive. First Outback I have driven.

Other car (old Subie GL wagon) has very nice light clutch. Got back in it and almost put my foot through the floor!

Do Outbacks have stiff clutch pedals in general? How much adjustment is available?

Reply to
RockyRoad

You need to do what my wife did when her knee started hurting - Buy a WRX auto and give the Outback to your mate (:

Seriously, I don't think there's anything that can be done. I looked at the springs and adjust- ments and couldn't see any way to reduce the pressure.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hi, My Subaru Legacy 2.5 ltr engine with manual transaxle (138.000 kilometers) has the same problem: a very heavy/stiff clutch. My official dealer in Holland told me that it was common on legacy's such as mine (it could even get worse) . It's due to polluted or old oil in the hydrolic clutch (when worn out). Replacement or overhaul will be an expensive operation. More problems will occur, because taking apart the driveline will give problems in other parts of it. Their experience was to last untill real problems occurred.

Carel The Netherlands.

Reply to
c.visser7

Should buy automatic. No clutch problems

Reply to
jabario

Some clutches seem to get stiff with age, but I also read that the snout where the clutch release bearing is mounted in the tranny can rub aginst the bearing, increasing the pressure. A company made a repair sleeve to put over the snout, but apparently they are out of business. One dealer here told me they just sand down any ridges on the snout, put a bit of grease and install a new clutch. Also had a friend who installed an ACT performance clutch after the original wore out, thinking it would last longer than a stock one, and the pedal pressure was much stiffer.

Ed B.

Reply to
ed

Yup. I remember a sad post a couple of years ago. A guy bought a high performance clutch package and was trying to sell it here because his wife couldn't press the pedal down.

Mine was always hard and never got better or worse.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

RockyRoad scribbled:

You're right, it is heavy. My girlfriend has an Outback and the clutch on her car is much harder than on my Impreza. Wonder why that is? It's basically the same powertrain...

Reply to
Mark IV

I think I'm getting a bit more used to it after a few days (anything to not buy an auto!)

Reply to
RockyRoad

My 04 Forester XT has a very stiff-feeling clutch and did right from the start. It took a little getting used to but now I don't notice it. If I drive our old '95 Kia Sportage now it feels incredibly mushy in comparison!

Matt

Reply to
MattB

I have driving 2002 Outback 4MT for 2.5 years. At the beginning could stand it (especially in the traffic), but gradually the feeling has vanished. Also started working out :-), what might be a factor too...

A.

Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

Reply to