Dog ate my seatbelts

For some reason, my dog decided that both front seatbelts looked delicious and managed to chew them up in about 20 minutes last night. (He's never chewed anything before so I'm still wondering why this happened)

1) Can the rear seatbelts in a 2003 Forester be swapped for the front ones?

2) The local dealer wants about $320 EACH for the part. Does anyone have a reference where I can get them cheaper? (I don't want seatbelts from a wrecked car, but new ones for a better price are ok)

3) Labor is listed at 1 hour, which is probably their minimum, so my next question is: How difficult is the installation?

Thanks for any input.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:25:46 GMT, Dan Duncan wrote in news:r snipped-for-privacy@pcisys.net:

Do you truly want to gamble that a discount belt will do its job? I would muzzle the dog and buy the OEM belts.

I remember reading about the bolts for seatbelts requiring specific torquing. Also something I would want done correctly.

Reply to
Juan Vado

I don't want discount belts. I want to find the best price. The price MY dealer charges may well vary from the price another dealer would charge. With my Saturn I call BOTH dealers in town for parts and they often vary by quite a bit. There's only one Subaru dealer in town but shipping is cheap. (When I got the roof rack for my Saturn, I ended up buying it at one dealership and delivering it to the other for installation because of pricing.) The fact they're the only dealer in town makes it seem more likely they'll mark it up.

I also want them done correctly, which is why I asked how difficult the installation is. If it's too touchy, I'll have the dealer do it. There's also a recall for some 2003 Forester seatbelts and I'm waiting for info from the dealer as to whether it applies to me to see if I can save some money on the install there. If they have to remove the seatbelt anyway, maybe they'll cut me a deal on installation if I buy the belts from them.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

GOOD aftermarket products are often better than OEM _and_ less money.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

My strong recommendation is that you go with dealer installed OEM belts. Ask a couple of dealers for quotes if it makes you feel comfortable. No way in hell I'd look to save money on that job.

Seat belt and air bag prices obviously stem from *incredible* liability associated w/ safety part defects or a faulty install.

-LK

Reply to
lkreh

I would contact

They often have Subaru OEM parts for a lot less than list price. I use them for my oil filters and other goodies I've purchased in the past. As far as installation goes, I installed a new set on an Oldsmobile Ciera and a Chevy Pickup that was a piece of cake. Whether or not it is the same on a Forester, I wouldn't have a clue.

-Kurt

Dan Duncan wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

Dan Duncan scribbled:

And what are you going to have in the rear? Nothing?

You can get better belts for much cheaper and don't believe this nonsense that aftermarket belts are unsafe. It's quite the opposite. You can get a FIA approved racing harness from Sparco -

- for $100 less than yourdealer's OEM belt. If it's good enough for racing, surely it's good enoughto keep you safely inside your Forester. Here's a $99 model that would do the job for you:
can even have it installed by a Subaru dealer. Many Subaru dealersprepare rally cars and will replace your original belts for better ones. A3 point harness in a Forester. How cool would that be? Better still,change your Forester for a WRX-STI, to go with the harness... ;-)

Probably not difficult but I'd still have it done by a reputable installer and keep the bill for insurance purposes if needed later on (hopefully not).

Reply to
MK IV

Only until I replace those.

With front seat belts I can safely and legally drive the car NOW until I can order replacement belts. Right now it's parked until I sort this out. (My wife and I are sharing the other car) The rear seat belts are rarely used anyway, so I would have plenty of time to wait for the mail man so I can replace them.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I've also been looking here:

can even get them in red to match the car. Oooh!

That's just a drop-in change, right? :)

Good idea about the liability issue.

I've had some work done by a local shop on another car and the guy has always been honest and done good work, so I'll ask if he would do a seatbelt install.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

I feel your pain. When my 7 year old dog Daisy was a puppy, she chewed not 1, not 2, but 3 seatbelts. :-(

It happened over a few occasions in 2 different cars, and it's a long story: if anyone is interested, email me and I'll send it to you.

I believe she did it because she was mad at me for leaving her in the car while I went into the store. Daisy is a weird dog, and I don't think she likes me very much, but we're kind of like an old bickering couple.

Anyway, I didn't drive the 2 cars much, and have since sold both to friends. The guy who bought the car with only 1 bad belt swapped the driver's for the passenger's. He jokes that he doesn't care if the wife "gets it." Actually, they have 2 cars and seldom use that one on family trips. It must not have been too hard to swap the belts: my buddies and I are more handymen than mechanics.

The other car? That guy is too cheap to repair the belts. He hit another car that spun out on a dark icy freeway. The bags went off and he wasn't hurt. The car still runs, so now he drives with no safety features, the way cars were in the old days. Some guys are stupid.

Reply to
P T

dealers

Dude, you cannot be married. A wife (certainly mine) would take one look at those in the family car and say something that cannot be printed here.

-LK

Reply to
lkreh

[...]

...I'm not sure I want to ride with a guy who's got that kind of belts...I mean, am I going to need them? LOL

-John O

Reply to
John O