Door seals in 98 Forester

The door seals (weatherstripping) have partially pulled off on both rear doors in my Forester. The dealer here in Ottawa tells me it will cost $180 to fix each (+$100 for the part plus labor). Apparently they have to take the door apart to install them.

Is there a cheaper option? I went to a local hardware store and they showed me a "universal door seal" which look like a roll of that foam stuff that you'd use for weatherstripping windows. Seemed like a bit of a joke, but maybe it would work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
leegh

I assume parts of the seals are missing, or they are otherwise damaged? If not, silicone seal will work to hold them in place. If you do need new seals, Canadian Tire used to have some decent door seal material, and if they don't stock it any more, auto supply stores do still have it. Just pick one with about the same dimensions as the original.

I wouldn't use the material you saw at the hardware store, it won't hold up.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

I would investigate purchasing the part from an on-line discount dealer

is one I've used, email/call Jamie for help if the website is a problem) and having a body shop or, maybe, find a guy with some experience in custom stereo installation or custom interiors,etc.(someone who knows how to work inside the door). They MAY have a lower labor rate than the dealer. I fear other DIY solutions might lead to trouble in the near future.(noise, water leaks,etc.)

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

As I think about it further, my advice was wrong, re. using aftermarket seals. While I've used those successfully on other cars, I'd forgotten about the effect of the Subaru's frameless windows. Because they move against the seals, those seals have to be the correct shape to work properly and last. So, I withdraw what I said previously, and have to say Carl's correct, use Subaru seals. Nothing else is likely to work.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer