Drive axle boot

Hello again, yet another question for the 95 legacy LS (googled but didn't find any relavant posts)

Noticed a "creaking" sound coming from under the front of the car after it has wamed up. Really notice it coming to a stop as the car dips a bit to slow down. The worst part is the feeling of the creaking noise in the steering wheel and brakes, feels like road vibration but it isn't. Anyway, as I'm looking around under the car I notice the my RF drive axle boot on the transaxle end has torn completely and slung the grease onto the frame and catalytic heat shield. Is there any quick and easy way to replace this boot other than yanking the axle out? Can I simply re-grease the bearing, albeit only the exterior of it, and wrap it with another clamp-type boot?

Reply to
John

There is a clamshell boot that installs w/o removing axle, but don't know how long they last. If no dirt in joint, best to remove axle, remove cv, clean well and replace boot. Inner joint doesn't pick up dirt as much as outer joint, so good chance it might still be serviceable. Ed B

Reply to
ed

Tried a clamshell LOOONNGG ago - didn't last. maybe they are better now?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

ed wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

If it is making that much noise that you noticed it then you will probably have to replace the axle. It is unusuall for them to make the sound you describe unless cornering.

Reply to
Pete D