Driver's Side Wind Noise + Armrest Extender for '03 OBW

Hey all.

Just got a 2003 Outback Wagon the other night. Love it, especially with all the snow we've had lately. But I've noticed that once I get up to about 40mph I get pretty noticeable wind noise from the driver's side window, which I'm sure is due to there being no frames around the windows. I've read several other posts from people who had the same issue, and they mentioned having the dealer either "reseat" the window, or adjust the window tension against the seal. But since mine is no longer covered under warranty, and the nearest Subaru dealer is

25 miles away with unconvenient hours, are these things easy for me to do myself?? How much would a dealer charge for something like that anyway, since I'd have to pay for it since it's not under warranty any longer. It drives me crazy now that I've noticed it. I sat in the passenger side last night while my husband drove, and I didn't hear any noise from that side at all - just the driver's side window seems to be the problem.

Also - I'd like to get an Armrest Extender for that useless center armrest (sits way too low and far back), but the dealer and subarugenuineparts.com both told me that Subaru didn't offer them for the 2003. WTF? I know they're available for other OBW years - would another year's Armrest Extender be compatible with the '03?

Reply to
M. Baker

I can't help you with the armrest question and only a little on the one about wind noise. I have found if I lower my window and squeeze the blank plastic triangular piece I can greatly reduce the noise, but only for a while.

Jay M '03 Baja VA, USA

Reply to
jMon54

What do you mean, "squeeze" the plastic piece? I'm trying to picture it in my mind; are you talking about the rubber seal that goes around the door frame where the window rests against, or something else?

Reply to
M. Baker

No, not the rubber seal. At the front lower edge of the window there is a plastic triangle. Just grab it between your thumb and the rest of your hand and give it a hard squeeze.

I th> What do you mean, "squeeze" the plastic piece? I'm trying to picture

Reply to
jMon54

OK - sounds weird, but I'll try it. :)

It does sound, though, like the wind noise is coming more from the back/top of the window, i.e. behind my left ear as I'm driving. But I'll try the "squeeze" and see if that does anything.

Reply to
M. Baker

Be aware that this triangle may also be a tweeter speaker on some option packages. Same basic temporary fix except it may just need a "push" on the lips with the window open. It's been over 8 months since I last "pushed" mine.

Reply to
nobody >

I always thought the noise was coming from the top of the window. I found it is from the front of the window. I discovered that by pressing on the rubber seal from inside the car, and found the bit of the seal that masks some of the noise. Sadly, when releasing the seal, the noise returns.

But at least I know where the noise comes from.

Reply to
Dan Langille

There is a TSB on wind noise. I replaced the gussets on my 01 Legacy and its very quiet now.

Body - Door Mirror Wind Noise NUMBER: 12-82-04 DATE: 04/15/04

APPLICABILITY:

20000-2004MY Legacy/Outback & Baja

SUBJECT: Door Mirror Gusset Wind Noise

INTRODUCTION

The purpose of this bulletin is to address wind noise coming from either the left or right mirror gussets.

PART NUMBER INFORMATION

INFORMATION

Should you encounter a customer complaint of wind noise and determine the noise is from the door mirror gusset area, proceed as follows: You can determine if the wind noise is coming from the gusset area by pushing on the glass during a road test or by taping off the gusset area.

Repair Procedure

1) With the door open, ensure the window glass is in a full-rest, closed position. Close the door.

2) Measure the clearance between the front door glass and the door gusset at both the inner side and outer side with a thickness gauge. If the clearance is less than 0.2 mm the wind noise may be coming from somewhere else. If the measurement is 0.2 mm or more, proceed to step (3).

3) Retract the glass completely, then measure the clearance between the left and right lips (see the picture). If the clearance is less than 5 mm, the door gusset does not need to be replaced. Go to step (6). If the dearance is 5 mm or more, proceed to step (4)

4) Replace it with the new style door gusset. Refer to the applicable service manual for replacement procedures. After the installation of the new gusset is complete, go to step (5).

Right Gusset PN 61158AE00B Left Gusset PN 61158AE01B

5) With the new gusset installed, repeat step (1). Next, re-measure the clearance between the door gusset and the door glass with a thickness gauge. If there is no clearance at both inner side and outer side, no further action is required. However, if there is a clearance at either the inner side or outer side, proceed with the following.

6) With the door panel removed, turn the adjuster bolt for the door gusset to tilt the door gusset toward the smaller clearance.

Note :When tilting the door gusset to the outer side, turn the adjuster bolt clockwise. When tilting it to the inner side, turn the adjuster bolt counter-clockwise. The adjuster bolt has a screw lock on the threads. If it is difficult to turn, remove the gusset and turn it while holding the head with pliers.

For vehicles within the Basic New Car Warranty period, refer to the Warranty Labor Time Guide for claim information.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks - I tried squeezing the triangle of plastic, and it didn't do anything. I just have a basic wagon, so I don't think there's any speakers in there. I might look into having a dealer look at the TSB issue - that would be free if it was the cause, right?

Reply to
M. Baker

During the warranty period.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

I wish I'd known about this before my 2001 left warranty.... :)

Reply to
Dan Langille

OH - well so much for that. The warranty is long over for me. I wonder how much a dealer would charge me to do that, then? If I called them and asked them for an estimate on performing that TSB, they should be able to give me a ballpark figure, right?

Reply to
M. Baker

If you do contact the dealer, please post what they tell you, okay?

Reply to
jMon54

They should be able to, as the TSB usually lists the standard time to charge for the job / the time Subaru will pay the dealer if done as warranty.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Thanks - I'm contacting the dealer now and will post what they come back with.

What is the difference between a TSB and a Recall? Because recalls repairs are no-cost to the car owner, even if it's past the warranty period, right? Just wondered...

Reply to
M. Baker

You are correct.

Recalls involve a know safety problem that the NHTSA has issued a recall on for the problem to be repaired by the manufacturer.

Technical Service Bulletins are sent to the dealer when a common problem has been reported and aids the dealers in repairing the problem in a more timely matter.

This site has listings for both:

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Have u tried lowering the window and squishing the rubber together? If you do that and train youself to NOT close the door pushing on the glass, the fix lasts a long time - at least it does on my wife's Outback.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

A picture would help. If someone can post a picture showing what is being squeezed and how, it would benefit many.

Reply to
Dan Langille

Yes, a picture would be great. Not sure what rubber needs to be squished? It seems more like a tension issue between the glass and the rubber, to me. If the glass fit more snugly to the rubber, it would seem the noise would stop.

Dan Langille wrote:

Reply to
M. Baker

The black, triangular object to which the outside mirror is attached that is on the forward part of the door;

or

has some rubber 'lips' on its rear openeing in which the glass slides. Those lips can be pushed together by exerting an inward force on the mirror and an outward force on the inside (or tweeter area if so equipped) of the triangle. Even though the sound often appears to come from higher up and more rearward (to me anyway) this action really does help. Other folks have found that useing pieces of masking tape on the mirror mount, wiper arm, winshield gasket, etc. has helped them find noise generators. If youe winshield or wipers have been replaced, that can create noise. Also, on wagons, sometimes the crossbars can be noisy if in the wrong position or installed backwards.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan