Drivers side mirror partially works.

I ran into this issue after buying my used 2001 Outback Limited Edition wagon. I noticed that sporatically the drivers side mirror partially worked via the electronic movement controls on the drivers side door. All the while the passengers side mirror fully worked without question. To be more precise, the mirror has stopped moving Up/Down, yet will still move Left/Right just fine. Periodically it seems to work with the electronic controls letting me move the mirror up and down. But recently it has stopped again.

I'm pretty sure it's a loose wire, or something solely electronic right in that mirror or a wire leading into it. How would I go about fixing this? Personally it's not a great big issue because my mirrors are set to where I like them, but sometimes at night getting a jerk run up behind me, tailgate me with high beams makes me lower the angle of the mirrors.

Brad

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Hi Bradley,

I had the same problem on my OB 2002.

Here is the solution (from the 02 manuall):

- The best place to do this (at this time of year) is in some close space because if you do it outside it won't be that easy. You will understand what I mean if you read below.

- Use hair dryer to heat up plastic cover that holds mirror. I'm taking about the black plastic that is around the mirror, not the big mirror casing

- It should take around 3-5 min. to do so

- Once plastic cover is warm enough you will notice you can move the mirror around a lor easier

- Use flat screwdriver to remove the mirrror, but since it is attached with double-sided tape at the back it might show you some resistance. Be careful not to brake the mirror and not to break mirror heater

- Once mirror is out you can use phillips screwdriver to take the motor casing out and (in my case) I used WD-40 or any other spray lubricant like that to clean the motors

- Once done put it all back but heat up plastic cover again so you can put the mirror back with ease.

Let me know if you get stuck.

Cheers, Voja

Reply to
Voja Ilic

Do you mean to remove the plastic reflective part of the mirror from the black backplane that is attached to the motor?

Reply to
Bradley Walker