EJ25 oil pickups grenading?

Steve or others....have you got any info confirming the concerns shown in this thread? ;

just trying to determine how concerned I should be about my 06 WRX wagon.

tia

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I haven't heard about this, but then I haven't been staying on top of the newer WRX cars either. I looked thru the fotos, and it doesn't look very well supported, does it? I can imagine that a combination of thin, or poor quality tubing, and rough roads at speed (rally wannabes?), or even engine vibrations (lotsa trips to redline?) could cause failures as described. Probably less of an issue for the "average" driver, or we would have heard way more uproar. If it were my car, tho, I think I'd wait 'til the factory warranty expired, and install the aftermarket pickup tube. It doesn't appear to be too difficult, and (alas) I fall into the rally/redline category ;-)

ByeBye! S.

Probably, ...but then how much uproar does one hear about the head gasket issue. Not really much, considering it is an obvious engineering defect.

Subaru take on bad engineering seems to be that i f the issue does not affect primarily the original owner within the warranty period, ...it is being ignored.

Second hand owners do not cause much uproar and pay for repairs themselves, while iriginal owners within warranty period get patch-up solutions, good for only a very limited time, ...essentially to get you past warranty period, like the 50 cent coolant conditioner solution to a major engine design deficiency.

I wonder how long can Subaru they keep doing this before the bottom falls of?

I keep driving my 2000 Impreza 2.2l, even though have been tempted by newer Subarus on numerous occasions. I have high hopes for the new 2.5L engine (2010 Legacy/Outback, 2011 Forester), but have to say I am just plain scared.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

we saw 2 dead engines related to this a few years ago, but nothing recently. Haven't had a recall or an inspection. will try to see if the new subaru part was improved. I read the entire posts, and first was concerned; but later felt like the vender liked to "keep the fear alive" He said "If it has an EJ

25... Yes. All EJ series motors have pickup issues and all EJ25 motors after 2006 have the same exact pickup." yet only 2 in our shop and none recently....... I don't know... Ill ask the district rep soon, when I see him.
Reply to
StephenH

I could CERTAINLY understand how a dent to the bottom on the pan could create a cracked tube or restriction.(as in that one pic) But, like you, I just wonder how big an issue this is, and whether Subaru even had a TSB or anything on the problem. If I rallycrossed or frequently was off-road, it seems like a reasonable concern.

By 'few years ago' what year models were involved? Is this something that has a definite 'range' of years involved?

thanx for replying.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Interesting. I'm refreshing an EJ25D I got from the local wrecker. The oil pan had taken a hit in an accident or from being dropped. I got a new oil pan yesterday, and checked the oil pickup this morning. Sure enough, after polishing the oil lacquer off, there was a hairline crack down near the mounting flange.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

the district rep was at the shop today, said that he has seen them only on dead engines that had overheated. He didn't know of the two our shop had; but overall, Subaru had no campaigns or rash of problems with the tubes killing engines. So officially, Subaru doesn't have an issue. There is an old block we just warrantied an engine in the shop; i'll pull the oil pan and see.

Reply to
StephenH

But the question is, did the crack 'predate' the overheating of the engine and then, the dead engine issue prompted the inspection/ discovery of the crack? In other words are there a bunch of engines running around with cracked oil pickups that just haven't been inspected - yet?

(another 'excuse' to get a gauge cluster for my car - with OIL PRESSURE, boost/vacuum, and maybe ammeter lol!)

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

the service manager and i agree, this is one of those tings that make you go "hmmmm"

Reply to
StephenH

I'd say yes, on the cockroach theory principle!

If there are people who successfully catch their pickup tubes before they grenade, there are more of these around than is apparent. You started this thread Lucky Texan with an example of someone catching their roach.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst