Eliminating seatbelt warning chime

My wife's '06 Impreza wagon has an irritating chime that bongs incessantly anytime you're sitting in the driver's seat with the engine running & the seatbelt unfastened. The rule in new cars I gather (must be post '03, my 2003 Mitsu doesn't have this "feature") A throwback to those miserable buzzers they had on cars back in the early '70's. In those days of non-airbag, non-computer cars it was a straightforward process to unplug the seat switch & silence the damned thing permanently, I'm a little reluctant to do that with this "modern" car, as any electronics in the seat may also be needed for safety systems. Anyone know an easy way to kill this annoyance on an Impreza? "Buckle the seatbelt" will not be deemed a helpful reply... ;-)

Tia

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Remove the key?

Reply to
B a r r y

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl-Thanks for the replies on this & the parts thing. I'll check out the procedure in the thread. I did a search on the ng, but for some reason my client (Tbird) kept giving an error message. Shoulda checked google groups, I know...

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I guess my server drops off the older stuff too. Kinda frustrating, but I found it anyway.

carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Oh Yeah - if it's the same Chaplins, you wanna talk to Jamie, she's the parts guru (Subiegal - -

) tell her I said you need the 'Texas Discount'. hah! Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Buckle the seatbelt. Its not that big an inconvenience.

Reply to
Ragnar

FWIW, if you're in and out of a car that's parked and running, you can always buckle it behind you, or behind the seat.

Before messing with the system, does that car have variable airbags? If so, it's something to keep in mind before touching any seat sensors.

Reply to
B a r r y

Very useful reply. Obviously, I must think it is in some situations, or I wouldn't have posted the question.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

What about BEHIND the seat?

Reply to
B a r r y

Thank you. One tries to be helpful.

So now you're ungrateful for the help. Make up your mind.

Reply to
Ragnar

I did this on my 05 Legacy sedan and got this info from legacygt.com.

Disable Seatbelt Warning Chime -

1) Sit in Driver Seat - Probably best to close the door in case it's needed. 2) Put the key in the ignition, but do not turn it 3) Grab your seatbelt and get it ready to clip it in 4) Now turn the ignition to "On" (don't start it!) 5) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition to "On", completely buckle and unbuckle the seat belt 20 times. When done with this step, immediately turn the car off. 6) Turn the car back on, and it should be set. To turn the Warning Chime back on, repeat steps 1-6.

Hope this helps. Lewis

Reply to
lewben11

Lewis-Thanks for the tip. I thought you were pulling my leg until I went to the site you mention & see there's quite a long discussion of the technique, seems to work for enough people to make it worth a try. Nice to know I'm not the only one who finds this an irritation.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Yes it was a major irritation. I usually don't mind a reminder beep but give me a few seconds to put the darn seatbelt on. The thing went off all the time. I always had to ask my passenger to quickly buckle up or else. The instructions do seem very odd but leave it up to those crafty Japanese. Reminds me of those PS2 cheat codes. hehe I'm glad I could help Dan. Lewis

Reply to
lewben11

Toyota has similar instructions for keyless entry programming, you turn the key on and off 6 times, open and shut the door 10 times, put your right foot in, and do the hokey pokey.

I think my neighbors thought I'd lost it when I was adding a new keyless fob to my truck.

Reply to
B a r r y

Lewis-Well I just tried this, and to my utter amazement it appears to have worked THE 1ST TIME! Didn't even have to sacrifice a chicken! As they say on Ebay, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS!

Dan

Reply to
Dan