emergency brake repair help- not just pads or cable

Hi all-

Long time lurker, once in a while poster. Everyone here has always been really helpful.

Here's the latest..

2000 OBW, bought used in good shape in VT. at 62,000 miles, Not amazing , but good.. Anyway, I have about 104 K miles on it and for the past few months, more like 4-6 months, I've had a big problem with the emergency brake holding.

I've had the cable checked twice, and last fall when the dealer did the timing belt, he said it was not the cable, but an issue with the emergency brake system and the rear discs are fine. He thought the system might be rusted, as there's a lot of rust on the undercarriage, presumably from the VT winters.

I've been dealing with this for a while, parking in gear all the time ( 5 spd) but I've had enough with the slipping on slight inclines.

What actually needs to be done? I expect it to be expensive :-(

Thanks much !!!

Reply to
moskiluv

Depends on what was checked on the cable: it's simple enough to do right, and to get wrong too. Just looking at the outside of the cable is not enough: you have to make it move.

When you pull on the e-brake handle all the way up, the cables at the caliper ends have to both move about 2 cm. If they don't, then there's a cable problem, usually rust inside. There may be a cable bracket up near the hand brake lever that's not retaining the cable.

Next, the caliper ebrake lever system has to be functional. I'm not specifically familiar with the Subaru, but ALL ebrakes are a purely mechanical system that moves the pads (or internal shoes if its a drum inside the rotor hat) on to the disk. These mechanical systems can jam up, internal shoes can wear out or rust in place.

Often, but not always, simply disassembling the rear brake system and cleaning / lubricating it fixes the problem.

Does not have to be expensive. You are up for 3-4 hours work max and parts, if any.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Good post. Subarus do indeed have a seprate 'drum' type unit on rear discs brakes.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan