End of year USA sales numbers for Subaru

According to Automotive News, Subaru sold the following numbers of cars in the USA during 2004:

Baja: 7,316 Forester 58,424 Impreza 32,209 Legacy 89,453

Total USA 2004: 187,402

This translates to 14th place and 2.4% market share.

This is up slightly from 2003: (Total 186,819). In particular, Baja sales were dismal, down some 30% from 2003!

This compares to the following in car sales (not including trucks, which Subaru does not make):

Chevy: 908,239 Toyota: 865,832 Nissan : 449,880 Dodge: 261,124 Hyundai: 300,094 VW 228,196 Lexus: 136,130 MBenz: 194,149 Saturn: 123,497 Mitsubishi: 108,937 Lincoln: 78,974 Audi: 77,917 Scion 52,246 Saab: 38,159 Posche: 13,356 Aston Martin: 469 Rolls Royce 305

PS: The total sales (cars and trucks) for Ford (#1) was 2,766,169. Slightly ahead of Chevy (#2) at 2,747,368 and Toyota (#3) at

1,672,862. Yep, Ford made 3x more trucks than cars and Chevy 2x as many. Makes you understand why we still line up at the Saudi gas pumps year after year!

Philip

Reply to
Philip Procter

Philip, thank you for posting the report. The shear numbers show whats really happening. I can understand the low numbers for Scion (toyota) because its new, also the numbers for Aston-Martin (a niche car) and Rolls-Wretched (Self Explanitory). But as I read(here and other) all the production/recall/failure problems that Subaru has it's NO surprise that the likes of Chevy,Toyota,Dodge Nissan and for god's sake even Hyundai (VW..thats a joke!) has blown the doors off of Subaru. Subaru's piss-poor mechanical failures,sloppy workmanship and lousy resale value will haunt them for a long time. As far as the "line up at the gas pump" Subaru's get some of the WORST mileage in their class then a LOT of the other manufactures, thats a fact.

Reply to
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

Are the Outback numbers added with the Legacy numbers?

Reply to
Nicolaas

Is this on something???

DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK wrote:

problems

Reply to
jabario

Well, this is what happens when you build an ugly "car" with no market niche. If they had removed the back seat and 2nd set of doors and made a new version of the Brat, they would have had to build extra capacity at the factory to keep up with demand.

Reply to
Ragnar

No that's what happens when you don't advertise a car most people have no idea exists. I've personally been responsible for selling 2 of these, aside from my own, to co-workers who had never heard of them till they saw mine. Concerning your no niche comment, stop talking out of your rear.

Reply to
nicklebon

I think you're being a little hard on Philip.

The Baja design tends to be quite revolting to many Legacy and Imprezza owners, myself included. I would *never* buy one. So if Subaru is marketing it to that group of people, it's not a marketing niche.

I think that we can both agree that it has to be marketed to a different group than your typical Legacy/Imprezza owner and that Subaru hasn't done as much as it could to do that.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Currently have 3 Subis ...but they have moved out of my car buying niche. I need a utility car at a reasonable price ...not a performance car with low gas mileage, low resale value and high maintenance costs. Is this a reflection of the GM purchase of a percentage of the company?

Jim Stewart wrote:

Reply to
John Gibson

Nope....."GM" and "GMAC" are run with a dollar sign in mind. They will pick up car finance where others won't even think of going. It's kind of like the 2 or 3 companies that will still finance a mobile/manufactured home without at least 15% down. If the financial venture fails, it's a major "writeoff" for the lender....something they sometimes need badly. This is something you and I can not do easy. If you make a ton of money selling Suburbans,Hummers,Tahoe,Envoy's...it's good to have a loss too..helps to balance the books :)

Reply to
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

Actually, Jim, I didn't make that comment, I just posted the numbers. It's tough to keep up with multiposted messages.

In the same issue, there was an interview with one of the senior managers of Subaru who admitted the Baja was not doing well, but would be kept in the catalog. Considering the shared parts, they're probably still making money even at these volumes.

Philip

Reply to
Philip Procter

Right you are. I guess it's nickelbon...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The Baja failed because Subaru tried to get the active youth to buy it but only sold it at foirst loaded with leather at 26000 dollars. No college/jiust out will pay that much when the element, and other cars were a lot less and promoted the active lifestyle

Reply to
jabario

I firmly believe after reading reviews and discussions on this and other boards that the Baja is a love/hate vehicle. Subaru did no advertising with the Baja and has let it languish in limbo. If it does become a discontinued model they have only themselves to blame. I love mine, but do wish they had made better engineering decisions.

Reply to
Kar Klean

Plonk!

Reply to
Ron Joiner

I agree with you that the Baja is a love it or hate it vehicle. I love the concept, but I hate the looks. In fact, I have always hated the looks of Subaru's. I liked the redesign of the Outback though. So I bought one. I also like the Tribeca that will arrive later this year.

Reply to
Nicolaas

any reason the numbers for honda and mazda are missing?

Reply to
tom