engine breaking?

We just bought a used 2012 outback with 2.5i automatic and I can't figure out what is going on with the engine. When I'm not pressing on the gas, it feels like the engine is engine breaking. It's most noticeable down around 20-25 mph. Is this caused by cvt, or AWD, or is there something weird going on with my engine? This is our first car with cvt and AWD, but we have an elderly Ford Explorer with 4WD and it doesn't do this.

EJ

Reply to
Elizabeth Jones

Elizabeth Jones

Hi

Modern cars have a very aggressive/quick fuel cut off when you lift off the accelerator, for improving fuel consumption/test MPG figures I guess.

I really felt this change between my old 1998 Subaru Forester and the 2004 model I replaced it with in 2007.

At first I thought the brakes were dragging or something but could find no such problem

doh - brak>We just bought a used 2012 outback with 2.5i automatic and I can't

Reply to
Illuminated

Yes, a CVT is very much like a manual transmission, as it's directly connected between the engine and drivetrain, with no fluid coupling in between allowing slippage like the old-fashioned automatics had. I assume you've never driven a manual transmission car, so this may be a new feeling for you. You can use this engine braking to your advantage, by slowing down with the engine rather than with the brakes. This will increase the lifetime of your brakes a bit.

If you're getting tired pressing on the gas pedal, then you should use your cruise control (of course only on a highway), to give your feet a rest.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I hope you mean engine BRAKING - and yes, I suspect that is the CVT.There should be a way to drive without the engine braking coming into effect, but I'm not familliar with the Soob system.

Reply to
clare

I don't know about modern. My 77 datsun had abrupt cutoff like that. That was an old L Jetronic.

Greg

Reply to
gregz