engine light on '99 outback

a mechanic replaced the valves in my '99 outback legacy, 97,000 miles, after a timing belt failure. the engine light came on and the dealer says it's the catalytic convertor and it must be replaced. i read some time ago here that there is a possible solution to the problem but i don't remember what it was. any help here?

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
uandeye

It may be the oxygen sensor...I just came from my mechanic and they have been telling me since november I need a new catalytic converter but now they say I need a new front oxygen sensor--they said that there is a service campaign bulletin for this problem. I called the dealership but they won't fix it because they say that they are no longer obligated to fix that particular campaign bulletin. I'm hoping others may have this problem and can help me and explain why the campaign bulletin no longer is valid on this problem.

Reply to
holden99