Engine overheat and cool air -thermostat?

Yesterday coming home from work in -10 C, a 26 km drive,

I was getting just cold air through the heater. I was watching the temp

guage all the way home and as I got near my home about 20 minutes in, the temp guage on my pickup was at the red line.

Once parked in driveway, I noticed the rad pushingbubbling fluid into the overflow and could smell hot antifreeze.

I have noticed the past few weeks that the temp guage has been rising but then would suddenly start to go down esp. if I turned on the heater and it seemed unusual at the time so I have been watching it. --yesterday was the first time, it did not go down. I went for a little drive later that evening and this time, the temp rose even faster -7 minute drive to move temp guage close to red and still no heat from heater.

I assumed/read that you would have one or the other, that is, engine overheats so thermostat is stuck in closed position No heat in car so thermostat is stuck in open position.

I seem to have both scenerio's going on.

Any thoughts -is it even the thermostat? if so, I know the thermostat is relatively inexpensive? should I buy

3rd party or from dealer and finally, how long/shop time to replace one (I am assuming one hour or so) and is it worth trying to do it myself?

Many thanks in advance

Reply to
gpagmail-news

Cross-posted to Chrysler and Subaru groups? That must be some mongrel vehicle you got.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Marshall

Add Acura to the list. What type of car is this? It really does make a difference.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Toyota Pickup 1988

Reply to
gpagmail-news

Cross-posting? The Newsgroups header in the OP's message only contains a single newsgroup (this one). Maybe you meant *multi*-posting.

Reply to
Vanguard

Then don't post in a specific-topic newsgroup if you aren't going to discuss a specific brand. This is a SUBARU group! Post in a general group, like alt.cars or alt.autos. If you want specific help with your Toyota then go post in alt.autos.toyota!

You never mentioned if you let the engine cool down (so you can remove the radiator cap without any pressure behind it and let any bubbling settle out) and check the coolant level in the radiator. If the coolant is too low, it isn't going to get out the top radiator hose to the engine. You didn't mention how fast you were driving on your way home. Could be you were on the highway and had enough speed for airflow to keep the engine cooled off enough (although you said you had red-lined it by the time you got home). Besides the thermostat, low coolant level in the radiator can do the same thing that you mentioned.

Reply to
Vanguard

No heat from the heater typically is caused by no coolant flow. Reasons for no coolant flow: sytem has an air pocket, coolant level low, water pump failing, radiator clogged. You can determine a lot by just touching things when the engine overheats. Feel all the hoses and the top, center and bottom of the radiator. Everything that is not hot to the touch indicates no flow. My money is on a clogged radiator or a failing water pump. Changing out the thermostat is very easy. No reason why you can't do it yourself. just don't install it up side down. Unlikely you have a leaking head gasket or cracked cylinder head but they are also possibilities.

Reply to
johninKY

leaking head gasket or cracked cylinder head but they are also

Hi,

With a 22R engine in his truck, a blown head gasket's at least as likely as w/ any of the so-called "problem" Subies! (Don't ask me or MANY other

22R owners how I know...)

But the OP should still go thru the simple things you described first. For a while, the t-stats in these engines were problematic for reasons unknown (which may have led to a lot of the h/g problems, according to my machine shop buddy.)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Didn't know that but what do I know about Toyotas? Never owned one and just assummed Toyota didn't have problems.

John

Reply to
johninKY

Oh, boy!

Anyone who wants to whine about Subaru headgaskets needs to do some research on Toyota's 22R (which also eats front crank seals, for all the folks complaining of Subie oil leaks! :D) and their V-6es, several of which are known for oil leaks and blown headgaskets... again, don't ask me how I know these things! (Ok, just a single clue: there's one of each sitting on my driveway this very minute.) ;) And who's heard of a Subie w/ sludge issues? Take THAT one to a Toyota forum and see what it brings you! Though in all fairness to Toyota, they're not alone w/ ANY of these issues, and, overall, still produce a top quality product that's hard to beat.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I've owned nothing but Subarus and my 66 Power Wagon I owned before any of the Subarus for 16 years now. I'm getting too old to learn another make and will stick with Subarus to the end. Hope to still have the Dodge when that day comes.

John

Reply to
johninKY