Engine pinging - New Forester

Have had my new Forester (had WRX) a little over a month. So far really like it. However, have noticed the engine pinging a little when driving on a fairly level road and then starting into a very slight upgrade. This occurs mostly in 4th or 5th gear with and without cruise on.

I live in Washington state so we have a lot of these slight uphills. Have tried various brands of gas and they all appear to do the same thing. Trying Chevron now and so far so good.

Took a trip to Teton a couple of weeks ago and the pinging stopped while we were there; even using the 85 octane gas they sell in Wyoming.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any solutions?

TIA

Reply to
JM

This is normal on my 2000 Forester S. Timing is being advanced to the max for the fuel used for max efficiency. If my Forester stops this at

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I think I've also noticed this (2005 Forester X, manual) on two occasions with situations similar to what you describe. I was in 5th gear with RPMs low, but not so low I would have expected pinging. Easing up on the accelerator or downshifting to 4th made it go away. The pinging was slight and it would have been reasonable to have been in

4th rather then 5th at the time, so I didn't pay it much attention. But your post is making me think about it. I'll watch for it to occur again.
Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Edward Hayes