engine replacement question...

hi, i'm a newbie, so please take it easy on me if i ask a silly question. ;) i love subarus, but i don't have that much money. i've come across a 97 legacy outback (2.5L engine) that's blown a head gasket for $1500. i am wondering how much it would cost to get a remanufactured engine put in? i'm in the bay area. has anyone done this? (from what little googling i've done, the first generation 2.5L were problematic, so i'm sure it's a common solution...).

any help would appreciated. (btw, i found a 98 outback limited with a blown engine, and they're asking $6400 for it. doesn't that sound a little high?)

thanks! g13

Reply to
g13

Yup. I just bought a '99 Legacy Outback Limited 30yr. Anniversary with

130K loaded extra clean for $6300 (private sale.)

g13 wrote:

Reply to
George

I suggest calling Beyond Repair in Berkeley and asking how much to fix it. I'd buy the car in a heartbeat and fix it myself if the rest of it is clean and in good shape.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

While common, it's not the end of the car; price getting the head gasket changed

Reply to
Stephen H