entry level 2006 wagons (to replace Corolla wagon)

Hi

My 15 year old Toyota Corolla Wagon is about to be replaced. As Toyota doesn't offer this car any longer I have been looking around for alternatives.

I am considering the two following 2006 Subarus:

Impreza 2.5i Sport Wagon Outback Sport

They seem to be identical other than the exterior body (one having two-tone paneling). Am I correct about this? Or am I missing something?

Other than looks of the outside, is there a reason to pick one over the other?

Also, a friend of mine has a Legacy Outback, but I am not seeing this model on the Subaru site. Was this an earlier model, or has it been replaced/renamed? How does it compare to the two above.

Finally, I am a bit concerned about the mpg on these. My 15 year old Corolla Wagon gets about 36 mpg on the highway and upper 20s or 30 in the city. I am wondering what real users mpg numbers are for these models.

Any comments on these cars, any aspect, based on your experience would be very useful to me. The Toyota was exceedingly reliable and cheap to maintain, I have been spoiled.

Thanks very much,

Esmail

ps: Any reason to hold out for the 2007 models? Better mpg? or other features?

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

Subaru wont even come close on either aspect.....Gas mileage OR reliability.

Read this ENTIRE group. There is a ton of information here. Some love them, some hate them. A lot of them have blown head gaskets, have had Subaru shit all over them. Toyota is much more simple and damn near bullet proof. If you DO NOT need the AWD, stay with Toyota or another car company. For service (or lack of it) read all about Subaru's factory centers at

Backfire Bob

Good link - 43 entries for Subaru, 483 for Toyota.

I do agree though that Subarus just aren't for everyone. Better stick to the tried and true if you've been happy with it. AWD maintenance has one or 2 xtra concerns associated with it. It brings safer, better traction and cornering but there is a weight, complexity trade-off. You could do a LOT worse than Subaru and likely there are 2-3 companies making slightly more reliable cars, but there are scores making less reliable vehicles than Subaru.

get what you want - just be educated about the choice before you make it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Oh boy, this isn't very encouraging .. I would be very happy if I could buy an updated version of the Corolla Wagon, but as far as I can tell they stopped making them in 1996, so even used cars are really old. The Toyota Matrix just doesn't appeal to me (Toyota's replacement for the Corolla Wagon).

I don't think I need AWD, FWD has worked fine for me over all these years, but so far what I have seen makes the Subaru Wagons the best choice, though I just started to look seriously.

Can you think of other cars to recommend? In addition to the

Subaru Impreza Wagon Subaru Outback Sport

I also am looking at:

Audi A3 Mazda 5? 6? Ford Focus Wagon

I tend to hold on to my cars for many years, so reliability is really important to me.

Thanks!

Esmail

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

Oh, well, that's not very encouraging...

Yes, I just found this group and am scanning the messages.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. I don't think I need AWD, FWD is just fine, but I haven't found a Wagon that I like, and the Subaru Impreza/Outback Sport seem the most appealing of the lot.

If the Corolla Wagon was still available I'd buy one tomorrow. However I believe they stopped making them 10 years ago, and its replacement (Matrix) just doesn't appeal to me.

Esmail

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

Are you selling that wagon above?

Serious question

Reply to
me

Yes, I don't need two cars. So once I know what I want to replace it with I will either trade it in, or sell it privately (probably the former if the price is decent, less hassle).

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

How come?

Reply to
me

Are there any other brands that make wagons worth looking at?

Id like a small FWD only wagon myself

Reply to
me

where are you located?

Reply to
me

Ohio

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

**I have an 05 Impreza RS Sport Wagon and I love the AWD. It handles so beautifully that it brings a smile to my face. My previous vehicle was an 03 Jetta 1.8T GLS, it had a sport suspension with 17-inch wheels on it and the Impreza handles better hands down.

I can't give you definitive gas mileage because the Jetta, while it only took premium, got awesome gas mileage: 25-27 mixed, 33-34 highway. I noticed that the Impreza didn't match it in the mixed category, however, highway mileage is pretty decent. I decided to save my sanity and stop tracking gas mileage like I did with my other cars though I might start again out of curiosity.

The Jetta was 180hp and I think the Impreza is 163 or so (?) The Impreza is a torque-y little beast and I love it. Tons of power throughout acceleration and the engine sounds lovely :) It's probably why the car likes gas, I always like to hear the engine growl. It's more rough around the edges than the Jetta but I understood that when I bought it so no complaints (except for the stereo which is poop).

**Coming from the VW experience, you might want to avoid this. Audis don't have good reliability reps anymore and I took one of these out before I bought the Impreza. The interior didn't look as nice as I thought it should. The Jetta's interior was awesome, the A3 looked a little rough hewn in comparison.
**I wouldn't mind a Mazda 3 in the future :)

**You're in Ohio, you must know someone who works for Ford so you can get one of their discounts. I'm originally from CT (now in Mich.) so I'm left out in the cold when I see the ads in the Detroit papers advertising great leasing or purchase prices. :-/ Every other car in the northwestern section of CT is a Subaru.

Have you test-driven any cars yet?

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Maybe it's too ugly or he does not want to sponsor superexpensive Japamerican secretarial asses?

Your shortlist is too short. But so are the choices on the market of small wagons at the moment. Probably there is not much demand for these so manufacturers get away with what little there is. I suggest to camp at the library and memorize back issues of Car and Driver. I can personally recommend to find a Protege 5 in a good shape if you can find a moron willing to part with it. If automatic trannies are your cup of tea Honda CR-V is another option. Nevermind the taller box and the noveau gate arrangement. If you don't like either choice and razor sharp handling and slick shifter is not a priority you can always fall back on the two luxopilies you are asking about. We call ours "Our little Taurus".

2.5i has 9-10 mm less of ground clearance and probably handles a bit better than my outback "sport". Subaru should've called it Subaru WinterSport or WinterSports. Would've been more precise. OBS has a cigarette lighter in the hatch area and map lights I think.

Yes. Unless you need extra ground clearance (you don;t) you should pick 2.5i

I was getting about 23 mpg on combined cycle (hamfisted leadfooted driving)

Unlike Outbacks and Legacies Impreza's are built in Japan. The fit and finish is excellent. Don't expect any surprises in the reliability department unless you allow luddites to service and tow the car.

None I could think of.

Reply to
Body Roll

Esmail, try doing some research at

for other small wagon/5-doors vehicles that might appeal to you. Also, you local library (or on-lone for a price I guess) should have the April issue of Consumer's Report - it will be car-centric.

As said, wagons are still less popular than almost any other body style here in the states.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

agreed, hence my query here ...

I have been reading the current car issue of Consumer reports and looking at various sites on-line (plus ordered some info from various car companies). I will make a visit to the library too.

Not familiar with that car at all, I'll see what I can find out.

no, I prefer manual.

Argh .. I just don't get it .. in 15 years there should have been a lot of improvement in mileage! .. this has been very surprising and disappointing to find out.

that's good to know!

thanks for the message, I am spending this week doing research and hopefully do some test drives next week.

So far the Impreza is my top choice ....

Esmail

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

:-)

Was the Jetta a wagon?

:-)

Actually, I just came back from Boulder, CO and the Outback seems to be the state car!

I haven't met anyone who works for Ford yet, but maybe I should look into that ..

Not yet, I'm using this week for some research, hope to try out some cars next week.

Esmail

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

Agree

Some of the small cars 20 years ago were getting as god of gas mileage as the small cars hitting market now!

Reply to
me

How would I put it politely? Consumer Reports does not know a dick about cars.

It's no longer made. Replaced by Mazda 3. Which is too midsizish for my taste.

How are car makers suppose to achive that? Suck required extra energy out of their thumbs? Gearing on impreza is messed up already. If you want good mileage you may want to wait a few months for Honda Fit (small wagon). Top place finish in the recent C&D test. They liked the shifter too. And acceleration figues with that puny 1.5 liter are close to impreza with 2,5 For standard tranny anyway, Someone at Honda knows something about gearing.

Reply to
Body Roll

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote: > Esmail, try doing some research at

for other small > wagon/5-doors vehicles that might appeal to you. Also, you local library > (or on-lone for a price I guess) should have the April issue of > Consumer's Report - it will be car-centric. >

Thanks Carl, I have the car issue of Consumer Reports, but I haven't looked at edmunds much yet, I will visit again.

Esmail

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

You were lucky if those old card did 0-60 in 10.5 seconds. These days 1.5L Honda Fit with 5sp does 0-60 in 8.7 (about 1.5 faster than Prius with what? 200ml smaller engine?) and has better highway mileage than prius AND cost $6k less.

But somehow Chevroyota Metro with 0.9 and 1 liter 3 cylinder was never big with the customers despite the 45mpg figure (standard tranny, auto was not far behind). Now some idiots sponsor Toyolet secretaries with expensive asses for $21k a pop (3 times the price of Geoyota Small). Go figure.

Reply to
Body Roll