Error Code P0442

Hi,

The "Check engine" light on my 2001 Outback came on so I bought a code scanner and found Error P0442 which is "Evaporative emission control system malfunction" I reset the code and the light went off. Drove to a meeting and afterward on the way home the light came on again. I reset it. Has anyone had a similar error code and if so, what was found to be wrong? The engine runs just fine. As far as I know evaporative emission is a canister to recycle any gas into fumes to be burned while driving.

Of course I don't want to have the dealer making a lot of bucks off me for something not really a problem.

Thanks for any input.

Best regards,

Trem

Reply to
Trem

You could have saved the price of the scanner. Autozone will check it for free.

Reply to
Richard

Make sure the gas cap is on tightly. reset and monitor for reoccurence.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan